2015 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm chomping at the bit to get up to my spot and check my cameras. Good luck to you guys hunting fellas, I'll be starting my season November 1st.

Comment

LOL

Dang autocerrect!

Comment

Flavored corn?

What do y'all think about the flavored corn I've been seeing for sale with rice bran and other things?

I've never tried it, is it worth it?

Comment

I shot both my deer last week on rice bran/corn mix. I put it out the night before my first hunt and they came right too it both mornings. I don't usually bait this area so they weren't used to it there. Kind of surprised me how well they came to it. I haven't tried the flavored corn.

Comment

I'll pick some up, thanks and congrats!

Comment

We have used Apple corn. I can't say it worked much better than anything else.

Comment

Forgot to mention I mix mine up like the magic dust recipe that floats around this site. Half and half bran and corn mixed with brown sugar and strawberry jello mix. Not sure if it makes a difference but they liked it last week.

Comment

Dang I wish I could bait sometimes! Sure hope my throw and grow is coming up!

Comment

I missed a doe over rice bran and later that day got a yearling over the same pile of rice bran.

Comment

Took the family up for a kid friendly first hunting trip of the year. Didn't see anything while on stand except a B&C woodpecker and squirrels. The red and white oaks have blown their acorns. The seasonal creeks are covered up with them. Bumper crop this year. Allot of the pin and post oaks seem to have yet to drop in my area.

Got to hunt with my 10 year old, which was a lot of fun. She is ready to put one down.

Still planning on getting her on one with her .223 later this season.

Saw plenty of does but no bucks this trip. They are probably getting fat and happy on the mast. Also, haven't seen much running or scraping activity compared to this time in years past. Will probably start ramping up soon.

Was able to do some in-season scouting and trimming around the new clear cuts. Timber company's timing is impeccable. They are done cutting but still have logs to get out of the hunting area where my daughter's blind sits. We went from "can't see more than 30 yards" to "can see 200+ yards.". You gotta roll with the punches.

How'd everyone else do this weekend?

Comment

Seen deer every hunt. The young bucks I saw (spikes/fork horns) think it's time to do something. Watched one lick nearly every branch it seemed like down a ridge, and a fork horn came in all bowed up at a basket rack but that didn't last long. My dad had a shooter come in on him but slipped out just in the nick of time before he could get a shot.

Comment

Was in the woods from Thursday through Sunday. Friday with the clouds I saw deer all day. Center punched a doe at 40 yards but never found her. She ran in the briars and the blood ran out. Missed another that evening due to a bad yardage judgement in a blind I had hung that day at lunch time. Have one good lookin mid 140's buck on camera but that's about it. Also no new bear pics even though our buddy is baiting them. It seems like when we don't want them we are covered. Now that we have a hunter we can't find one. Last bear pic was from August. Hung three new stands and the whole crew is chomping at the bit for black powder season. Hopefully we will have some biggins to share pics of soon. Still chasing a couple
                          Monsters here locally in Tx and hope to share one of them as well with you fellas

Comment

We had 4 hunters on our ranch this weekend. From Friday evening to Saturday night. The deer movement was incredible. The does are hitting the green fields very well as well as the small bucks. Over 50 deer were seen between everyone each sit. Friday evening one hunter had an encounter with a 150 class 10 point.. He watched em make a scrape on the edge of the food plot but never made it any closer then 65 yards. The does that were underneath him kept blowing and stomping at the buck. It was quite a coincidence because the weekend before I actually found this deers marching sheds from last season. They measured 149 3/8.
                            The buck he saw and sheds we found.

My main priority is to kill our best deer megatron. He is very elusive and does not go to any of the feed locations. The only cameras I get him on are around our biggest food plot. In the past our ranch has been archery only but this year I am making an exception. A 190-200" deer will make you do that. I bought my first muzzleloader yesterday and I plan to take some vacation time and hunt very hard that week up to Halloween. I had 2 encounters with him last muzzleloader season but only had bow in hand.

I have his right shed from the year before and we measured it Saturday. It was 83". So his other side was very close and giving him a 20" spread credit he would of been right at 180" last season.

Here's one of the pictures from last week. This is over a scrape on the edge of a food plot.

The plan for this weekend is to let our place rest and take some of the pressure off before muzzleloader . In the past Halloween has always been a great time to see mature deer. Regardless if the weather has cooled off or not.

Comment

Man I hope you get negation this year. He's a freaking stud!

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                                Man I hope you get negation this year. He's a freaking stud!

Stupid autocorrect, megatron*
                                Last edited by rhendrix; 10-13-2015, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X