Process Technology jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Process Technology jobs

Wanting a career change and have been applying heavily to these positions.

I have a BS in geology from Texas A&M and have worked in O&G since I graduated in 2010.

Is it worth it to get a process technology certification?

What can I do to set myself apart with no actual petrochemical experience?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if your interested but right now we have a job listing for Lab Tech at the Motiva Port Arthur Refinery. Look online at Motiva.com
    I do not think a Process Technology degree will help you get a job as an operator. The degree that you have should be enough. It's more like hitting the lottery getting through the first steps.
    Good Luck
    T-roy

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
      I don't know if your interested but right now we have a job listing for Lab Tech at the Motiva Port Arthur Refinery. Look online at Motiva.com
      I do not think a Process Technology degree will help you get a job as an operator. The degree that you have should be enough. It's more like hitting the lottery getting through the first steps.
      Good Luck
      T-roy

That's what I'm beginning to notice.

Comment

I worked in this field for around 35 years, made a decent living and I am retired now. Personally if I were going to put two years into schooling it wouldn't be process technology. Reason being shift work, hard on a family life, you work in a carcinogenic environment not to mention a very hazardous environment. The money is good, work isn't that physically demanding from my experiences but you do earn it so to speak. What I am trying to say is if you are going to put more time into schooling put it towards a career where you can market yourself. In procecess technolgy you may not be able to go to work for one of the larger companies with the benefits immediately. These are just my observations from an old has been and only worth .02. The educational background you have now should be sufficient. Good luck!!
        Last edited by tps7742; 05-19-2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
          I worked in this field for around 35 years, made a decent living and I am retired now. Personally if I was going to put two into schooling it wouldn't be process technology. Reason being shift work, hard on a family life, you work in a carcinogenic environment not to mention a very hazardous environment. The money is good, work isn't that physically demanding from my experiences but you do earn it so to speak. What I am trying to say is if you are going to put more time into schooling put it towards a career where you can market yourself. In procecess technolgy you may not be able to go to work for one of the larger companies with the benefits immediately. These are just my observations from an old has been and only worth .02. Good luck!!

Appreciate the advice!

Comment

Your best bet, if you would like to vo that route, is to get on with ine of the smaller plants and get some experience/contacts and then try and advance into larger companies. The pay, benefits, etc may not be as good, but you will be learning and gaining experience you can use further down the road. There is very little turnover at the large refineries, and they have a huge pool of applicants to pull from. Most jobs go to people that have been refered by either management or a long time, well respected employee.

There has been a shift over the last 5-10 years away from hiring degreed canidates straight out of college, and more toward hiring experienced people. The degree can still open a lot of doors, but there is no substitute for experience. My only advice is apply, apply, apply!!

To set yourself apart, get a job where you actually work in a plant. This helps you network and make a good impression both with the operators and management. It also gives you some experience, even though not directly related to operations, with the way plants run on a day to day basis. It is a totally different world compared to most jobs outside of plants and is a real eye opener when you start.

Eventually someone will run across your resume and pull it for an interview. It is a VERY hard career to break into and there is a lot of "brother in law" deals that go on when hiring for those positions. Took me almost 10 years to get on as an E/I with a small chemical plant. Probably would have been much quicker with a degree. When i hired on, the average tenure was about 20 years and we have only hired 3 new employees in the 6 years ive been here.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Comment

As fishingsetx said a lot of plants are going away from requiring the classes. I work for ExxonMobil and they do not require it, neither does chevron, lyondell, enterprise etc.....my advice and what worked for me, get a list of smaller chem. plants near you and every so often send your resume to every single one of them. They are either going to email telling you to leave them the hell alone or give you an interview! Its a long journey but very much worth it, Good Luck to you sir!

Comment

Chevron Phillips is hiring in Baytown in the near future. Great company. Also BOP @ Exxon

Comment

Originally posted by MisterSanders View Post
                  Chevron Phillips is hiring in Baytown in the near future. Great company. Also BOP @ Exxon
                  That's where im at BOP, we have a lot going on as far as our new facility and after this one is completed were building another huge plant in Corpus.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter1089 View Post
                    That's where im at BOP, we have a lot going on as far as our new facility and after this one is completed were building another huge plant in Corpus.

I heard about that. All they're waiting on is approval from the county.

Comment

Originally posted by JAGR View Post
                      I heard about that. All they're waiting on is approval from the county.

Yessir, that is going to be a huge huge facility they are building. Gonna take a long time to get it done but going to be tons of jobs there.

Comment

Yessir, that is going to be a huge huge facility they are building. Gonna take a long time to get it done but going to be tons of jobs there.

Hopefully I'll have some experience when the time comes for them to start staffing up.

Comment

As mentioned above it's hard to get into. If you get a interview with Motiva shoot me a pm! I'll vouch for you because I don't like the "family hiring". I had a 4 year degree and went back for the p-tech degree because of the economy in 08-09. I wouldn't at this time with a better economy.
                          Shift work is the dumbest schedule you will ever work but it pays well. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by JAGR View Post
                            Hopefully I'll have some experience when the time comes for them to start staffing up.

Just make sure you get online and start a profile with exxon and get set up to test. Ive heard of people testing and having a job within a few months so you never know. Its a roll of the dice, if you get a test let me know and ill help out any way that I can! Again goo luck through all this!

Comment

Just make sure you get online and start a profile with exxon and get set up to test. Ive heard of people testing and having a job within a few months so you never know. Its a roll of the dice, if you get a test let me know and ill help out any way that I can! Again goo luck through all this!

Thanks man!

Comment

Working...
                              X