No announcement yet.

No Draw Hunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Texas Draw hunts are a Joke. I spend $1500 a year putting in for all the western stuff but dont waste my money on the Texas stuff. I literally have a better chance of drawing a sheep in some of the western states than some of the hunts here in Texas..

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      The Texas Draw hunts are a Joke. I spend $1500 a year putting in for all the western stuff but dont waste my money on the Texas stuff. I literally have a better chance of drawing a sheep in some of the western states than some of the hunts here in Texas..
      I've drawn several over the years, youth hunts as well.

Comment

I put in 3 or 4 hunts, it seem to be just a money maker for TPWD after they changed the system.

Comment

Not me.

Comment

I actually applied for draw hunts for the first time (in Texas) this year. I applied without knowing what I was really doing for a few montana tags before (didn't draw). Also applied for the St. Vincent Island Sambar hunt in Florida once - of course I drew the tag and didn't get to go. Figures.

Comment

I just applied to one in each category to build up pref points. Chancing of winning are slim but if I did win it would be a memorable hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by staplehawk View Post
                I put in for about 20 and have for several years, with no luck. I've spent $100 on far worse things in my life.
                Truer words have never been spoken.

Comment

I never have

Comment

In the past when my kids were younger I put in for everything. Now that they are older I only put in for ones that I have preference points for. I have been on several of these hunts in the past. Some good, some not so good. It’s terrible what they have done to the system. It’s all about the money! I wish you could put in for a preference pint only like Colorado, there’s one hunt I really want and they only have listed about every 5 years so I have to put in for a different one to get a point. Have drawn for one of those once and had to start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Never

Comment

The new system started because people that can’t do basic math were complaining about the effort it took to mail in applications and only being able to put in for one hunt. And now many of those same people are shocked and complain because the draw odds are even worse than before But now that the state realizes how much money it can make it will most likely never change. That doesn’t mean people can’t try whenever they get any surveys or such. But it will probably take a LOT before anything changes. With so few tags the only options are completely random draw, what they are doing now, or squaring the points each individual has and putting their names in that many times. A true preference system will not work in Texas. Or they could do any of the above and make people front the total cost of the hunt when applying then refunding the money of not drawn. System sucks but people spoke and got what they wanted now it’s biting everybody in the butt.

Comment

Don't waste your time. There are no animals on TX public land.

Comment

I applied for 16 hunts this year. It is my first time and to be honest I doubt I get anything. My main purpose in applying is to start building loyalty points on some of the cooler hunts like mule deer, pronghorn, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                              The new system started because people that can’t do basic math were complaining about the effort it took to mail in applications and only being able to put in for one hunt. And now many of those same people are shocked and complain because the draw odds are even worse than before But now that the state realizes how much money it can make it will most likely never change. That doesn’t mean people can’t try whenever they get any surveys or such. But it will probably take a LOT before anything changes. With so few tags the only options are completely random draw, what they are doing now, or squaring the points each individual has and putting their names in that many times. A true preference system will not work in Texas. Or they could do any of the above and make people front the total cost of the hunt when applying then refunding the money of not drawn. System sucks but people spoke and got what they wanted now it’s biting everybody in the butt.

A little birdie told me that they may start limiting how many hunts you can apply for each year. This will limit the amount of people that can apply across the board.

They may start with kids first and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunn6092 View Post
                                A little birdie told me that they may start limiting how many hunts you can apply for each year. This will limit the amount of people that can apply across the board.

They may start with kids first and see what happens.

They already started with youth categories this year, 3 hunts max per category. They need to do this across the board next year, they will get more money from me if they do.

Comment

Working...
                                X