Any recommendations for Charleston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any recommendations for Charleston?

Like the title says, I need some recommendations for Charleston, SC.

We are thinking of a quick trip there for our anniversary. Not worried about budget. My wife’s only requests are fancy accommodations and great food/wine.

Halls Chophouse. Best steakhouse I have ever been to bar none. The lobster mac and cheese is the stuff dreams are made of. I recommend staying down by the old town area. No need to rent a car. Plenty of great restaurants are walking distance away.

Comment

The wife and I have Charleston on the short list for one of next trips. Looking forward to your report.

Comment

Take her to Ft. Sumter... nice and romantic. Perfect for an anniversary.

Jk I’m no help here

Comment

Hymans is great. Don’t let the crowd waitin out front deter you. They get you in quick and the service is the best. My wife and I were in Charleston about a month ago. Nice old town.

If you want to get out, drive out to folly beach and eat at Bowen’s Island Restaurant. It’s off the road and sits right on the marsh. Sit out on the deck and have a cool one.
          Last edited by smokeless; 06-21-2018, 04:27 AM. Reason: More stuff

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
            Halls Chophouse. Best steakhouse I have ever been to bar none. The lobster mac and cheese is the stuff dreams are made of. I recommend staying down by the old town area. No need to rent a car. Plenty of great restaurants are walking distance away.
            Halls is the best, not even close. Breakfast (and maybe golf) at the Ocean Course.

Great city!

Comment

I was there in Mid-May. We stayed at the Francis Marion hotel. Really nice and close to most restaurants and shopping. I would rent a car or uber it. Ft. Sumter was definitely worth the trip.

Comment

Thank y'all for the recommendations! I will look into those.

Comment

Poogan's smokehouse in downtown Charleston is pretty good. The shrimp and grits at the Oyster house were the best Ive ever had.
                  In terms of things to do...Folly beach is nice. As are the several forts around the city. The old slave market was interesting, and there are some walking tours that take you through some of the older homes/neighborhoods with some interesting history associated with it.
                  We didn't get the see the Henley when we were there bc it was just discovered but I understand it may now be available for viewing.
                  There are several plantations just outside Charleston that are nice.
                  And the Charleston Tea plantation was pretty cool also.

Comment

Charleston is one of my favorite US cities. The entire downtown area is filled with shops and restaurants, take a horse drawn carriage ride.

Go across the bridge & ferry to the barrier islands. Ft Sumter, isle of palms and sullivan’s Island are good areas. Seems there was a good restaurant out on Sullivan’s island called Poe’s Tavern

Comment

Poogan's Porch - this is a must
                      Circa 1886 - great wine list
                      82 Queen - good wine & we met Bill Murray here randomly
                      Callie's Little Hot Biscuit
                      Prohibition - great drinks
                      HUSK - this is a must
                      Hominey Grill - great brunch
                      FIG - another must
                      Bowen's Island - great oysters
                      Rooftop Bar at the Vendue (?) - boutique hotel with an awesome bar
                      Several good breweries (Revelry & Palmetto come to mind)

Take a carriage tour.

Not sure if yall are golfers, but either way go check out Kiawah Island. Beautiful spot and some **** good golf courses.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. The two times we've got we rented a historic home to stay in, so I don't have any recs for hotels, but I know there's plenty of cool spots to stay.

Be prepared to spend some serious $$$$.

Comment

One more idea is a tour of the Citadel. I thought it was a pretty slick place. The cadets at the Citadel fired the first shots of the civil war. It is basically the SC State Military College.

Comment

Hymans is a must for seafood. Be prepared to wait if you go during prime time. Park around back by be big fountain. If it wasn’t for an anniversary, I would say go check out the Hunley sub for some cool history.

Comment

Working...
                          X