East TX vs. West TX leases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
    I grew up in Fannin County and had access to 1000s and 1000s of acres. All from just asking. However there weren't any deer to speak of around this part of the state. As deer started getting plentiful, access started going away I guess. Back in my day going hunting meant dove, duck, squirrel, coon, rabbit, yotes .....and that mountain lion the old timers said they saw in the bottom. I hunted that dang lion for several years [emoji1] [emoji35]. Wonder if that old man really saw one, or just enjoyed watching me try and kill a ghost. I had fun either way[emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If there were as many lions as there were stories there's absolutely no way there'd be a single deer left in E. Tx lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      Yes I'm aware of Jacks ranch but I was talking more in the way of a BIG low fenced, well managed place.. I'm not sure that exists... Probably is a secret if it does..
      I've hunted ST, WT, the panhandle and old Mexico but those true wild, Giants from east Texas is what I would really like to chase..

Second to that would be the Panhandle. Gray or surrounding counties.

They exist. The guys that hunt them are absolutely not allowed to discuss them in any way on social media. I know of about 4 off the top of my head and had to pass on an opportunity at 2 of them this year. The dues were around $5k, but essentially if you shoot anything under 150" you're burning your tag.

Comment

For a $20k/yr donation to a foundation you can have access to a pretty good place on the Neches....or so I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
          Being from West Texas and living in East Texas for 20 years. A lot of people ask me whats the biggest difference between East and West Texas.

I answer :

When you're driving down the highway in West Texas people give you the index finger wave

In East Texas when driving down the highway they give you the middle finger wave

And the humidity really does suck

If I lived in all that mosquito-infested humidity, I might be a little cranky too.

Comment

Last year I hunted all season in east TX - didn't see a single deer. This year my second sit in my stand in west TX, I counted 18 deer.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              Honestly, the deer are getting easier to kill as well.
              Send those deer North.[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post

If I lived in all that mosquito-infested humidity, I might be a little cranky too.
                Ppl elsewhere pay to go to a sauna..we get it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by jetboysixx View Post
                  Last year I hunted all season in east TX - didn't see a single deer. This year my second sit in my stand in west TX, I counted 18 deer.

Where in Mason county are you? We may be neighbors!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    East Texas proud here for 20 years.

To me...a deer lease is about so much more than inches or lbs..... but East Texas has a nice amount of both. The entire experience is what I look for.

I like seeing deer... even if I don't trip my release all year on a "monster". I enjoy watching deer as much as I enjoy shooting them. I don't hunt to watch birds (crows are OK.) Seeing deer is fun ...killing several deer a year is even more fun..

I love the people in the east. They are a friendly bunch and laid back as a whole. The egos are checked at the gate.

I like the large leases and low members counts. I like leases where the deer herd health/numbers are more important than keeping the cost of the lease fee down. 7 hunters on 800 acres of pines with 10 white oak trees can be just as enjoyable as 7 hunters on 2400 acres of oak and mesquite. It's thick out here.

I love the humidity, it makes me tougher.... I also love the dry crisp mornings during winter. I love the of mosquitos and bugs in general, it reminds me we are in rugged country. Rats and mice are everywhere but I can handle it.

I like all my **** to be there when I arrive at the lease. I like being able to leave stuff at my lease and know it's going to be there when I drive up. Hauling back what I have at my lease each trip would be a major PITA. Replacing it all because some methhead stole it would be even more of a PITA. Thank God, I've never had that problem and I'm pretty close to methhead central.

I like not having pictures of poachers and hog doggers. I like not having my hunt ruined by the guy on his 5 acres next door practicing for World War 3.

I love the smell of burning charcoal and ribeyes searing over it.

I love..... the drive. .. especially on Sunday when I can get back to my wife and son by lunchtime with a deer in the bed of my truck.

I love 105 deg workdays in the summer, we drink more beer because of it.

We all hated the droughts.

My loves and likes far outweigh my hates though....

Did I say I love seeing deer?
                    Fify
                    Last edited by HoustonHunter; 08-15-2017, 10:16 PM.

Comment

East TX vs. West TX leases

After hunting a big ranch out west, I'll tell you right now that I would start chasing ducks on the coast full time again If the only place I had to hunt was East Texas.

Comment

Yes I'm aware of Jacks ranch but I was talking more in the way of a BIG low fenced, well managed place.. I'm not sure that exists... Probably is a secret if it does..
                        I've hunted ST, WT, the panhandle and old Mexico but those true wild, Giants from east Texas is what I would really like to chase..

Second to that would be the Panhandle. Gray or surrounding counties.
                        They exist alright but you won't find it advertised in the TBH classifieds or craigslist. You just about have to be born into them or know the right people.

Comment

I just bought 640 acres. Never even considered looking at East Texas. West Texas is where its at.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                            They exist. The guys that hunt them are absolutely not allowed to discuss them in any way on social media. I know of about 4 off the top of my head and had to pass on an opportunity at 2 of them this year. The dues were around $5k, but essentially if you shoot anything under 150" you're burning your tag.

There are a couple in houston Co. One of them turned out a low fence 278 inch deer a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              There are a couple in houston Co. One of them turned out a low fence 278 inch deer a couple years ago.
                              You won't find pictures of those deer hanging in the office at Stubbs, or on the TBGA website.

Comment

I was talking more in the way of a BIG low fenced, well managed place.. I'm not sure that exists... Probably is a secret if it does..
                                Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                                They exist. The guys that hunt them are absolutely not allowed to discuss them
                                Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                                They exist alright but you won't find it advertised in the TBH classifieds or craigslist. You just about have to be born into them or know the right people.
                                All true.
                                I know some places, quite a few actually, that are not Timber company land at all or a big hunting club. And the deer taken off these places will never be seen posted on the internet. I was talking to a guy that hunts one of these places a year or so ago about it and he had a friend that wanted to get his "foot in the door" to hunt where he was hunting. He told him somebody would have to die before they brought in another hunter.
                                Then, there's another friend that I go see every now and then, and behind his house is a storage shed. After he kills a buck and gets it cleaned, he cuts the horns off the skull and throws it on top of the roof of that shed. Everybody else would probably have them deer hangin on a wall in the house!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X