No announcement yet.

Started My Flatbed Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design done. Got a good bit of the welding done today. Had kids tag teaming it with both MIG welders running non-stop for 3 classes. Almost got the frame done. Got some pics of the kids working, but I can't get photobucket to work properly on my iPad, so I will put them up later. Felt like a regular fab shop today with all kids working on the bed and the trailer we have going. Didn't even have to make anyone sweep up to keep busy.

Comment

Looks like a great start, but the wheel well radius concerns me. Disregard me because I have never undertaken a vehicle modification such as this. My limit is lifting a suspension or installing headers. Staying tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
        Looks like a great start, but the wheel well radius concerns me. Disregard me because I have never undertaken a vehicle modification such as this. My limit is lifting a suspension or installing headers. Staying tuned.
        The wheel wells are 36" wide and give me at least a good 8" of suspension flex. Im currently running a 33" tire (32.5 actual diameter when new), but plan on upping to a 35" (34.5" actual diameter). Even with the 35, I anticipate plenty of clearance. If the tire does move into the fender it will be because I am having major mechanical malfunctions of the rear axel and suspension, which means a popped tire will be the cheapest fix part to fix in that situation. Lets just hope it doesn't come to that.

Comment

Looks good.

Good luck!
          JP

Comment

Just in case you guys thought I was doing it all myself. I had more, but these were the only ones I could get photobucket to upload.

BTW, the kid in shorts was just observing from a safe distance. There is no welding in shorts in our shop, unless of course it is summer time and nobody is watching me.

Comment

Awesome build !

Comment

Nice work! Had some good times in shop classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got some more done today. Messed up on the center panel, so Im gonna try that one again. This new plasma table is amazing. No way we could have done this nice of a job without it.

Last edited by Bucksaw; 09-23-2016, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    Nice work! Had some good times in shop classes.

As did I. Earned a few swats in ag mech also....

Still see one of my old ag teachers now and then. Jam up dude

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Another weekend cheat session. Got the rear skirt panel replaced, boxes cut out and the passenger side welded in place. Also got the passenger skirt tacked in. Sure seems like I did more than that, but that's all I can think of.

Comment

Oh yeah, I messed up the toolbox doors. That's what else I did. Gonna have to resort to plan B on those, or try again if I can muster up the money for another sheet of plate.

Comment

Man it looks great! I'm ready to see the end result. What school do you teach at?

Comment

Cushing

Comment

Working...
                                X