No announcement yet.

Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another great thread unclefish, awesome info and congrats on the buck.

Comment

Skull looks great!

Comment

Great thread, thanks for taking us along!

Comment

keep posting uncle fish! This thread was awesome.

Thanks for taking the time to update it!

Manwitaplan

Comment

I hope mine do half as good as yours

Comment

What are you planting this spring and when?
              This all looks great! Thanks for the info.

Comment

thx for update, looks good

Comment

Originally posted by jmangrem View Post
                  What are you planting this spring and when?
                  This all looks great! Thanks for the info.
                  With all this rain we've had I'm anxious to get back out there and check it out. Its been 3 weeks and I'm Jonesing to see it.

I'm going to leave the oats/clover section alone and see how well the Durana Clover does into the early part of summer. Its supposed to be the best drought resistant white clovers....we will see how well it does.

The other section I will plant cowpeas, Eagle soybeans (if I can get my hands on some), and milo to help the beans withstand browse pressure. There are no local dealers near me that carry Eagle Beans but there is one close to Longview. If I can't get it I will plant some regular forage soybeans. I'll plant when the soil temps hit around 60-65 degrees....hopefully early/mid April.

I've also got some plans for a visual screen for the food plots. I ordered 500 virginia pines but they will take 3-4 years to get big enough to screen. So in the mean time I will plant some red top forage sorghum (gets 6-7 feet tall) to help with the screen.

You will get alot more daylight visits to your plots if its screened off from view and the deer feel safe there. I also want to screen off where I enter and exit from so I don't spook deer when getting into and out of the stand. That's the goal for me.

I've also got chestnut tree seedlings growing at home right now that I will plant when they are ready. I just ordered 25 Chinkapin Oak (white oak) seedlings to plant in the spring as well. Its one of the sweetest acorns that exists and deer flock to them. The sawtooth oaks I planted last year were and epic failure....drought killed them.

Lots of stuff planned this year! Oh and I also just got a new Husqvarna chain saw to help thicken up some bedding areas with hinge cutting trees.

I certainly have alot more to learn by trying all this stuff but its alot of fun to me (almost as much as actually hunting . Hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes! Sorry for rambling on......
                  Last edited by unclefish; 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Awesome!
                    I'm with you. I enjoy working on the ranch and improving the habitat/hunting opportunities so much I'm almost bummed when hunting season comes around and I can't work anymore...almost.

Comment

Nice Mount

Comment

OK my next project just came in .....

500 Virginia Pine Seedlings

Nice bare root seedlings...

Not too bad for $35 plus shipping!

Comment

You've got to be kidding?
                          $35 each or all together?
                          How in the world does someone make money off that much work for 35 bucks!

Great for you though. Now the work begins. At least they're not 5 galloners...

Comment

This is a great thread! This kind of stuff is fun work.

Comment

Stopped to take a break. Got 35 in the ground so far. Im doing a triple layer of them in case of some dying. The drill auger works great except the batteries don't last long. My dad is coming with reinforcements though.

Food plots are green but literally eaten to the ground.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358526585102.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	24161176

The oats and clover are maybe half an inch high....they are really pounding them. The radish top are eaten but still not the tubers....go figure.

Yes it was $35 for 500. I ordered way too many...lol.

Tapachat
                              Attached Files

Comment

I need to invest in a better drill

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358526913917.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	24161179

Water hole is full too...I ran 2 does off when I got drove up to the plot.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358526963215.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	24161180

Tapachat

Comment

Working...
                                X