Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
    Cleaning the pins is easy:
    Just run a cycle of clean water, soap and Lemishine, and rinse the pins afterwards several times to remove any crud that is stuck in there.
    You lost me here....crud that is stuck in where?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
      I just encountered this for the first time the other day. my brass came out all greyish in color, and touching it would leave a residue on your hands. i will be doing exactly what you said as soon as i get home! i couldn't figure out what happened... but thinking about it my pins weren't all shiny anymore.. i did have some SUPER cruddy range brass in it recently...

Yessir

Clean your pins, rinse the brass.

Wash the brass with clean pins, then clean pins and brass again.

Those contaminants are a booger to clean out, and you're cleaning the drum as well as the pins.

After a couple cycles, everything will be bright and shiny again.

Originally posted by H-D View Post
      You lost me here....crud that is stuck in where?

Dirt, oil, old soap, all will get in your pins. There is also sediment that is suspended in them.

I clean my pins now every 4-5 batches.

I rinse them after every batch. I pour off the dirty water after a cycle, and do a preliminary rinse (4-5 drum full) and carefully pour off water so you're dealing with much cleaner stuff. I leave brass and pins in the drum for these rinses, before dumping in the separator.

I'm happy to talk with you if you like. Just shoot me a message.

Enjoy your shiny brass!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Your pins aren't solid?

Comment

This is one club I need to join...

Comment

I've been cleaning pistol brass like this for a few years now. One word of caution. Be careful if you switch to rifle brass. I had all kinds of neck tension problems when I cleaned rifle brass with pins. I think the carbon on the inside of the necks is sort of a lubricant. When it is stripped off it will change things. I ended up going back to my old vibrating tumbler for rifle brass.

Comment

I had all kinds of neck tension problems when I cleaned rifle brass with pins. I think the carbon on the inside of the necks is sort of a lubricant. When it is stripped off it will change things.
              There's no carbon inside the necks of new brass. How is this different?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                There's no carbon inside the necks of new brass. How is this different?
                I don't know. Maybe a lube is used. Or maybe the fine scratches causes problems. I'm no expert and I'm sure most on here have way more experience than I do. All I know is that my neck tension would not remain consistent when I used pins to clean rifle brass. Every other step wound be the same. When I went back to corn media tumbling, no more problems. Have you ever seen or experienced this?

Comment

Originally posted by SOLID EAGLE View Post
                  I don't know. Maybe a lube is used. Or maybe the fine scratches causes problems. I'm no expert and I'm sure most on here have way more experience than I do. All I know is that my neck tension would not remain consistent when I used pins to clean rifle brass. Every other step wound be the same. When I went back to corn media tumbling, no more problems. Have you ever seen or experienced this?
                  I haven't. But I don't wet tumble unless the brass is really dirty. Then I usually deprime and wet tumble before sizing. I don't like running funky brass into my sizing dies.

I have experienced "bullet weld" on old reloads. Where the necks will crack on almost every cartridge. Supposedly it's a reaction between the bullet and carbon from previously fired rounds "welding together." It helps on old reloads to reseat the bullet just a tad before using them to break this "weld."

Comment

Working...
                  X