Confiscation starts..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    Would there be ANY scenario that would justify confiscating guns from an individual?
    (Other than committing a crime)
    NO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
      NO!!!
      So, if a person was able to buy guns legally but then it is determined that that person should have never been able to buy the guns ( like the Texas church shooter) your saying that once he has them....too freakin bad he gets to keep them?

Comment

So, if a person was able to buy guns legally but then it is determined that that person should have never been able to buy the guns ( like the Texas church shooter) your saying that once he has them....too freakin bad he gets to keep them?
        Correct!!!

Comment

Okidoke

Comment

Okidoke

The Texas church shooter, by law, was not legal to buy a gun.

Comment

Yes I know that's why I used that as an example. Technically he was legal to buy a gun because mistakes were made.
              So, regardless, your apparently saying those mistakes can't be undone.
              I don't believe that should be the case.

Would be nice if everyone else would answer my question. I give you credit for your response though I disagree.
              Last edited by flywise; 03-19-2018, 06:10 PM.

Comment

What's your reasoning on allowing him to keep guns then?

Comment

Yes I know that's why I used that as an example. Technically he was legal to buy a gun because mistakes were made.
                  So, regardless, your apparently saying those mistakes can't be undone.
                  I don't believe that should be the case.

Would be nice if everyone else would answer my question. I give you credit for your response though I disagree.
                  So the government made a mistake? That's exactly who will be running any program confiscating guns. You're asking a group of people to approve parameters that would essentially take away an idividuals 2nd amendment rights. This is the same group that can't balance a budget. Once the parameters for confiscating guns were set there would be an agency in charge of overseeing the laws, not unlike the IRS agency that targeted conservatives, or a FBI agency that stretches truths or flat lies for about a FISA document. There are so many examples of government overreach and abuse how can anyone ask that they pass laws that infringe on an individual's 2nd amendment rights? Sure it's fine when they're at Jimmy's house, that guy is crazy. But what happens when they knock on your door?

Comment

If we don't trust the govt to get this right I don't see why we trust the govt to make sure the death penalty is done right.

Comment

Correct!!!

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      What's your reasoning on allowing him to keep guns then?
                      My question too.

So, if through some error on the NCIC or other database, a person convicted of a felony, family violence assault or any other offense that disqualified them from purchasing or possessing a firearm, is sold a firearm, even by mistake, they should get to keep it? Even though they never should have had it in the first place?

That's what you wrote, but surely thats not what you meant.
                      Last edited by Roy Munson; 03-19-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                        My question too.

So, if through some error on the NCIC or other database, a person convicted of a felony, family violence assault or any other offense that disqualified them from purchasing or possessing a firearm, is sold a firearm, even by mistake, they should get to keep it? Even though they never should have had it in the first place?

That's what you wrote, but surely thats not what you meant.
                        Flywise said if he was able to buy it legally. He wasn't able to buy it legally. Now, he did buy a gun that he shouldn't have been able to, I agree. But what if he already had guns, which it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Should the government have raided his house, and took his guns, once they realized the Navy said that he had disciplinary problems? Maybe after they realized he was dishonorably discharged? Is that a good enough reason to confiscate firearms?

What are the laws now on family violence? If convicted, are your guns confiscated? If that's the case, then it wasn't only the Navy who missed something, correct? Was he convicted of family violence? Was he convicted of a felony? I ask, because I don't remember the true facts.
                        Last edited by Ironman; 03-19-2018, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Flywise said if he was able to buy it legally. He wasn't able to buy it legally. Now, he did buy a gun that he shouldn't have been able to, I agree. But what if he already had guns, which it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Should the government have raided his house, and took his guns, once they realized the Navy said that he had disciplinary problems? Maybe after they realized he was dishonorably discharged? Is that a good enough reason to confiscate firearms?

What are the laws now on family violence? If convicted, are your guns confiscated? If that's the case, then it wasn't only the Navy who missed something, correct? Was he convicted of family violence? Was he convicted of a felony?
                          Yes he absolutely was able.to purchase the guns legally precisely because people screwed up. And yes, if the screw up was noticed after he bought the guns they should be able to confiscate them. At a very minimum the ones bought after the dishonorable discharge.
                          By the way, why does a dishonorable discharge prevent someone from buying a gun but a documented case of mental illness not prevent the purchase a firearm?

Comment

If he was dishonorably discharged and/or convicted of family violence and/or been adjudicated as mentally defective, or several other things, then he lied on that 4473 and of course they can confiscate THAT firearm obviously. What's the due process of firearms already owned?

Comment

If he was dishonorably discharged and/or convicted of family violence and/or been adjudicated as mentally defective, or several other things, then he lied on that 4473 and of course they can confiscate THAT firearm obviously. What's the due process of firearms already owned?
                              I think flywise was asking what you/we thought the law/due process should be, not necessarily what it currently is.

Comment

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post
                                If we don't trust the govt to get this right I don't see why we trust the govt to make sure the death penalty is done right.

They got it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X