Generac generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generac generators

Found (what I think is) a good deal on a Generac gp5500 portable generator. Good for about 45 amps. Enough to run a window unit and a refrigerator. I don’t need it to run the whole house.

Anybody hear or know first hand any good or bad reviews on this unit?

I’ve owned several and generac was bar none the worst. But that was years ago.

Comment

I have a generac XL4000 that I've used bowfishing for like 16 years ran it's guts out at full load bouncing around all over the place and it's still running strong! starts first crank !

Comment

Generac makes good units.

Comment

I've had mine for a little over a year now. Not heavilybused but no complaints. I used it this weekend to blow in insulation in my attic because the machine kept flipping breakers in the house. Very easy to start has started on first pull every time since I got it so far

Comment

We use them at work and put a bunch of hours on them, I have one at home also and no issues. Use fuel stabilizer and run the gas completely out in the winter.

Comment

I used to sell them the GP are what they are General Purpose. They don't use the better materials the contractor grade units do. So if it's one you'll use here and there they are great but if it's your daily upgrade to the next model up

Comment

Have the 7500 with electric start. Runs ac microwave coffee pot and fridge on my 32 ft travel trailer. No issues at all great generators

Comment

I have a 14K home unit and every comparison I could find put Kohler ahead of them. It is a bit higher but when we need it we really Really need it..........

Comment

They are good generators. We ran them on on our enclosed trailers mounted on the frame on the tongue all over the country, up and down ROW’s and everything in between. We have since switched to Honda’s, but the Generac was a good unit.
                    Last edited by Sleepy; 06-13-2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

I have a GP5500. Only issue I have had was fuel petcock / filter got really brittle and rotten preventing fuel flow. Ethanol issue I assume. Got a new one off amazon for 8 bucks. Back rocking good as new. I run my camper off it regularly. Also critical circuits when power goes out at the house. Backfeed through my dryer outlet. Runs 2 fridges, a freezer, ceiling fans, lights, and a small window unit with no problem.

Comment

Not even sure that I can justify buying one as I haven’t had an outage issue since buying my house, but do they sell one that could run everything at once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
                          Not even sure that I can justify buying one as I haven’t had an outage issue since buying my house, but do they sell one that could run everything at once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Yes, they make natural gas and propane generators that’ll run the entire house.

Comment

We have a 5,500 and bought it in 2006 mainly as a hurricane generator. Used after Ike in 2008 and fired it up a few times each year since. No problems thus far. Only complaint is it's pretty noisy.

If I was looking for something to use at a camp often, I'd probably look more at Honda as they are much quieter, etc. However, for our application, the Generac has served us just fine.

As to running multiple things at once, it's more on the starting amps that's the killer as compared to the running amps.

Oh and something else we learned during Ike. Sometimes it's better to just unplug the freezer, smoke what you can, and throw the rest out if power is out more than a few days. These generators burn a lot of fuel and it gets expensive quick.

Comment

Working...
                            X