No announcement yet.

Taxidermy problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of the reason I don't mount anything any more. I would rather just do my own euros.

Ive personally had so many issues with different Taxidermists and have heard many other bad stories.

Comment

I think some get in the business and get overwhelmed, then they get burned out and disappear. Others don’t have enough business ethics or savvy to hire a part time person to take care of communication with customers.

If you really read most of the posts about bad taxidermists it always ends up being a communications problem. As a business owner I had to learn about commitments and communication, these things tend to make or break the business.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
        You guys think taxidermist are bad.... you should hear about some of the taxidermists customers!!! Sorry, could not help myself.
        I do hate hearing about these stories, but I would think there would be a long list of bad dealings with all types of service companies, repair guys, mechanics, remodelers, roofers, painters, window guys and so on.
        We should always do our Due Diligence when it comes to hiring someone's service. I would also recommend that you never pay in advance, other than a moderate deposit.
        I hope for you, and all others, the best on this situation.

I could bore them for hours with bad customer stories....

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
          You guys think taxidermist are bad.... you should hear about some of the taxidermists customers!!! Sorry, could not help myself.
          I do hate hearing about these stories, but I would think there would be a long list of bad dealings with all types of service companies, repair guys, mechanics, remodelers, roofers, painters, window guys and so on.
          We should always do our Due Diligence when it comes to hiring someone's service. I would also recommend that you never pay in advance, other than a moderate deposit.
          I hope for you, and all others, the best on this situation.
          I did my due diligence on one and he was suppose to be one of the best in Texas. He put the wrong cape on a friends mount I had referred to him :-/

Comment

not to thread jack----any bad on Antler Ridge Taxidermy in Trinity?

Comment

Same thing happened to me, glad I kept the horns.

Wild Woods Taxidermy in Nursery, Tx just outside of Victoria. I believe his name was Robert

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
                I talked to a guy I know that is a full time taxidermist about this very issue the other day. The biggest problem is a lack of business sense. Too many of these guys get the money whether it be in full or a deposit and don't set enough aside to pay for tanning, forms, etc, before spending it all. Then they are dependent on new work coming in with new deposit money to pay for the work they already promised the original customer. He said the hardest part for new guys starting out in that business is to be disciplined enough to not spend the deer season money the week it starts coming in.
                Bingo! Spending it faster than it’s coming in. Again, so very thankful for having a great taxidermist.

Comment

Originally posted by oneforthewall View Post
                  I could bore them for hours with bad customer stories....
                  Refuse their business!

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                    Oh hell yeah still has my deer over a year

Comment

Am in the same exact situation, i used a taxidermist out of corpus and gave him the work and paid him full.
                      My aoudad from 2015 is still there and then i make the mistake of taking him 2 more shoulder mounts in 2016 and also paid in full and to this day nothing yet.
                      Went by the shop and he gave me the run around on different stories and still nothing.
                      I have text messages and paper work and promises but still nothing, sucks that us hunters help these guys in there business and some just screw us!
                      I shot my gemsbok in october and the taxidermist i used this time called me today and said ur mount is ready!
                      He just earned my business!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                        Post the name so others aren't screwed! Even if he does come through nobody should have to go through this! Bad business and others need to know who to stay away from!
                        Agreed Jason, I know some folks in Menard also who are very big in hunting.

Comment

There are a lot of reasons this happpens in the taxidermy industry.

#1 being that standard turn around time is 8-12 months. That’s longer than it takes to build a fully custom home. If you eat at a restaurant today and they shut down in 8 months, no big deal. Take your suit to a dry cleaner, car to a body shop, etc, they aren’t keeping your stuff anywhere near that long, so how long they can stay in business isn’t relevant.

#2 is that a lot of guys do it on the side rather than their primary income. Life gets in the way, they get busy with their day job, have a baby, move, etc, your deer mount isn’t their main priority. They could care less about their customer service and reputation when they are doing it for play money and not to support their family.

#3 it is relatively easy to start a taxidermy business with no business experience or real investment. A lot of guys that wouldn’t make it 3 months starting another business or being self-employed can survive long enough to end up with a bunch of people’s mounts.

The “risk” aspect, as well as quality standards are why I only use a longtime established taxidermist in the neighboring state. These sob stories are a dime a dozen, and happen year after year. It’s not cheap or convenient, but you will get your mount back and it will look fantastic, guaranteed. Personally, I’m not satisfied with 80% of the quality for 1/2 the price on a once in a lifetime deer that cannot be fixed, or a chance of losing it.

Side note, don’t ever pay in full. 1/2 up front to cover the form, hide tanning, etc, is reasonable, the other 1/2 (profit) is paid when you pick it up and are satisfied. When they aren’t getting more $ for finishing your job you move to the back of the line.
                          Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 01-03-2018, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                            There are a lot of reasons this happpens in the taxidermy industry.

#1 being that standard turn around time is 8-12 months. That’s longer than it takes to build a fully custom home. If you eat at a restaurant today and they shut down in 8 months, no big deal. Take your suit to a dry cleaner, car to a body shop, etc, they aren’t keeping your stuff anywhere near that long, so how long they can stay in business isn’t relevant.

#2 is that a lot of guys do it on the side rather than their primary income. Life gets in the way, they get busy with their day job, have a baby, move, etc, your deer mount isn’t their main priority. They could care less about their customer service and reputation when they are doing it for play money and not to support their family.

#3 it is relatively easy to start a taxidermy business with no business experience or real investment. A lot of guys that wouldn’t make it 3 months starting another business or being self-employed can survive long enough to end up with a bunch of people’s mounts.

The “risk” aspect, as well as quality standards are why I only use a longtime established taxidermist in the neighboring state. These sob stories are a dime a dozen, and happen year after year. It’s not cheap or convenient, but you will get your mount back and it will look fantastic, guaranteed. Personally, I’m not satisfied with 80% of the quality for 1/2 the price on a once in a lifetime deer that cannot be fixed, or a chance of losing it.

Side note, don’t ever pay in full. 1/2 up front to cover the form, hide tanning, etc, is reasonable, the other 1/2 (profit) is paid when you pick it up and are satisfied. When they aren’t getting more $ for finishing your job you move to the back of the line.
                            So what happens if you get your mount back and are not satisfied. I'm one of those part time guys that work my tail off at work and when I get home. I don't do taxidermy to try to get rich or screw anybody out of any money. I like doing it, I'm by no means the best or have ever claimed to be. If I've never mounted something or don't feel comfortable taking something in I'll let the person know right then and where I would recommend taking it. I understand what it means to have a once in a lifetime trophy and it baffles me as to how someone can just loose a mount or horns. My whole thing is most taxidermist you see are older and it's a dying art

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                              Used to be really good, and on time. From what I’ve gathered he has gotten to big and his turn around and communication has suffered. He still has my buddies deer from last November, turn around was promised as 9 months. My buddy finally got a call back n said it should be ready early this yr. problem is now he has gotten another batch of deer from this season so who knows. He does dang good work too is sad part

Comment

Originally posted by wilcox1088 View Post
                                So what happens if you get your mount back and are not satisfied. I'm one of those part time guys that work my tail off at work and when I get home. I don't do taxidermy to try to get rich or screw anybody out of any money. I like doing it, I'm by no means the best or have ever claimed to be. If I've never mounted something or don't feel comfortable taking something in I'll let the person know right then and where I would recommend taking it. I understand what it means to have a once in a lifetime trophy and it baffles me as to how someone can just loose a mount or horns. My whole thing is most taxidermist you see are older and it's a dying art
                                I’m not saying all part time guys are hacks, just that more hacks can survive awhile as taxidermists than in othe industries. I’m a small business owner myself and started two as “side work” until they took off an I went full time.

In a lot of industries, if the customer isn’t satisfied with the work, it’s up to the business to make it right, either by doing it again or refunding the money if they can’t do it better. Obviously this requires a valid reason, not just “I thought it would look different.”

No reasonable person would expect a mount that costs $350 to look as perfect as one that costs $550, just like you might expect a tile job that costs half of what another one does to have some slight imperfections.

My statement was just that I’m willing to pay what it costs to have it 100% right, rather than shopping around for a “deal.”

Comment

Working...
                                X