Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/8 should be fine.

Comment

A little more progress today. Just trying to get a jump on next weeks chores so the kids will have something to do next week. Hopefully the air compressor motor will be in Monday, so we can get the plasma back up and get the sheet metal cut for the toolboxes and get the kids welding them up, and remove the bed and flip it over to get the underside welded as well. Then its on to the headache rack and trying to figure out what the heck I am going to do about that fuel filler neck.

Here is what I got done today.

Added some beef to the rear hitch. I hope its strong enough.

You can see in the next pictures that the channel iron we used for the bumper bowed because of the heat of putting the receiver hitch in. Not sure what we can do about that aside from cut it off and start over, but we really don't have time for that.

The next question is, do we leave it flat, or cut a gooseneck channel in it? I know the pros of having the gooseneck channel, but what are the cons?
      Last edited by Bucksaw; 09-17-2016, 07:17 PM.

Comment

You can put a porta power and some heat on the bumper then I think I would do some more bracing on the bumper for the hitch.

Comment

I prefer them flat. Not a big fan of channels. They both have the pros and cons

Comment

Originally posted by Trailerman3 View Post
            You can put a porta power and some heat on the bumper then I think I would do some more bracing on the bumper for the hitch.
            Seriously? Its tied in with 2 pieces of 2x4 tubing and a piece of 4" channel. You don't think that would be strong enough? How else would you brace it? I want to make sure its gonna hold what I put behind it.

I plan on adding some to the receiver tube itself to add strength and a place for safety chains. Gonna try putting the rosebud to it next week to see if we cant straighten it out. May have to make some relief cuts around the receiver tube so it doesn't distort.

Comment

I would just add some more braces from back side of receiver tube up to the main frame rails of the bed to keep the bumper didn't torque more is better to me when pulling a trailer the build looks good by the way.

Comment

Not done yet? I want to see the completion of this, but don't know if I'll live long enough

Comment

Could be talking out my rear but what if you heated the hitch area and tried taking the bow out with a bottle jack?

Leave it while it cools or even tack in a brace till it's done?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                    Not done yet? I want to see the completion of this, but don't know if I'll live long enough

Man, you're more impatient than I am. I thought that was pretty good progress for a bunch of high school kids and 1 teacher, working 2 hours and 15 minutes a day (3 class periods), on a custom build that requires design time.

Patience grasshoppa. It will get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Could be talking out my rear but what if you heated the hitch area and tried taking the bow out with a bottle jack?

Leave it while it cools or even tack in a brace till it's done?
                      Yeah, thought about that. That's basically what Trailean3 was talking about.

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Seeet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

good work my friend

Comment

I wouldn't put a channel in it. They're pretty inconvenient if you ask me. Just a trap door for your gooseneck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

we built one for show last year. Wish I had pics of it here at home. I'll try and remember at school tomorrow and post a pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X