No announcement yet.

Lower Rio Grande NWR east lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best advice I could give is, if it's a really windy day go into the brush, if it's super calm and cool they'll be on the move

Comment

How did everyone do last weekend?

Comment

You sure it wasn't a bobcat? Lynx aren't that far south

Comment

Pretty positive, it dwfinetly wasn't an ocelot and it was pretty solid colored...I've never seen a bobcat that was that solid and BIG! Not saying it couldn't have been but I was definetly interested and stalked it for as long as i could. Wish I had a phone skope and couldve had a good picture to share.

Comment

I would never say the person is wrong because anything is possible. I have seen some pretty big bobcats down here even with pointy ears.

Comment

Been a bit busy, so I haven't had a chance to follow up. The short story is, I came back home with some good memories but no nilgai.
              I biked/walked 5 miles Thursday scouting around, and 10 miles each Friday and Saturday. There was one bull taken Friday and one, that I know of, taken Saturday. Both were on the northern part of the Refuge. I was hunting the south and west areas. Saw a lot of javelina and whitetails, but only saw one nilgai bull. I came up on his downwind side and didn't see him until he spooked probably about 30 yards away from me.

Not being able to use powered vehicles is a real disadvantage for hunting the refuge. We were back at the parking lot when the groups that killed were coming back from the field and they were exhausted. The near 90 degree heat didn't help matters much.

That being said, I had a good time and would do it all over again. The only thing I would do differently is to buy my liquor before I got to Raymondville. There is only one liquor store in town and the shelves were pretty much bare! :-)

Comment

My 11 and 14 year old sons have been selected for the youth hunt on 11/9/18. Any info on this unit would be great.

Comment

My 16 Year Old Daughter was selected for the youth hunt 12/21-12/23. We are experienced in back country hunting for Elk out West but this will be our first experience here.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarCarnivo View Post
                    My 16 Year Old Daughter was selected for the youth hunt 12/21-12/23. We are experienced in back country hunting for Elk out West but this will be our first experience here.
                    Cool me and my 11 year old will be there that same weekend. Gonna try to get there on Wednesday day and scout Thursday before the hunt.

Comment

We plan on doing the same, have you figured out where to stay yet?

Comment

Really liked this hunt last year, alot of good places to hunt out there too! Let me know if yall have any questions about the East Lake Unit.

Comment

My 15yo got drawn for jan 4. For these youth it is a deer hunt with chance for exotics. Most threads are about the nilgai which we would both be ecstatic to see and/or harvest. What's the deer population like? Better areas in the unit for one or the other?

Comment

Deer are definitely out there, I saw more Nilgai then deer but i believe they are always going back and forth from the private property. saw a lot of fence crossing areas going back and forth.

Comment

Bringing this back to the top. Just found out i was drawn for East Lake 2-15 to 2-17 and would love some insight on where you guys found the Nilgai to be moving when you were there. I've got a basic understanding of the property already.

I'll just admit it... I know zero about how a Nilgai behaves.

Comment

I drew for the next weekend! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X