Bisch Down Under!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bisch Down Under!

OK, we are back! It was a great weekend......for me and the goats (You will see why the goats liked it as the story unfolds. I have earned a new title that will be revealed later also.).

I called ozy clint (a guy that I met on trad gang wholives in Australia) to get directions to his place and he said; "Hey mate, I do not have to work this afternoon so if you can come earlier we can get a hunt in this afternoon too". I was all over that and jumped in the car for the 3 hr ride from Brisbane to Eukey, where Clint lives. I arrived and we shook hands and Clint tells me that he has a place right down the road to go rabbit hunting. We changed into some camo clothes and off we went. These Aussie rabbits are a bit bigger than Texas rabbits and live in burrows in the ground. There will be 6 or 8 burrows all together. You find the burrows then sneak in and look through the binos to see if any rabbits are out. Here is a pic of Clint checking out a cluster of burrows:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	24893348

Here is a few pics of me stalking one of those Aussie rabbits:

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 004.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	24893349

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 003.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	24893350

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 006.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	24893351

I thumped that rabbit right at the base of the head with a VPA small game head but it did not do much to him and he ran down into the burrow. So I decided to switch to my broadheads. We wandered around and right before dark we found a set of burrows with several rabbits out. I put the sneak on one and just barely clipped him and down the hole he went. I snuck in a little further and found another one. This time I was dead on the mark and I bagged my first critter in Australia! here is a pic of me and Clint with my rabbit:

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 008.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	24893352

After that we went to the house and had a great axis roast supper.

The next morning it was off to the goat hunting grounds. This was a ranch about an hour from Clint's place and we would be camping for the night. We arrived about noon and decided to hunt for the afternoon then come back and set up camp. We skirted the edge of the property to get the wind in our favor. After about an hour of walking we found our first goats. There was a "mob" of goats at a small pond. The pond was out in the open and we set up above the pond in the trees and just waited to see what they would do. Here is pic of the mob at the pond:

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 025.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	24893353

There was a big white billy in the group that we knicknamed "biggun". After quite a wait, the goats started to move away from the pond towards the woods to our left. We jumped into action and made our way through the bush to get the wind right and make an ambush. When we finally spotted them again they were in a wash just slowly feeding along. The stalk was on! We snuck in a ways and Clint told me to finish on my own and that he would stay back and watch. I snuck up to the edge of the wash and there they were.....with biggun in the lead. I got as close as I dared and then decided to wait on them to come closer to me. All was good for a while. Biggun had fell back to 2nd in line but the brown billy that had taken the lead would be a great one also. I waited and waited. Just as the brown billy was about to set himself up for a perfect shot, he decides to turn up into the woods......straight at me. He got to within 7 or 8 yds and then noticed me and Clint behind me, and stopped dead in his tracks. He stood there staring at us. He was so close I could see when he would change his focus from me to Clint and then back to me again. Now several other goats are working into the woods all around me. One even bedded down about 12 yds away. Here is a pic of me and the brown billy having the staredown (the goat is in the far left of the pic):

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 037.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	24893354

After what seemed like forever, the brown billy finally spooked which alerted all the goats. The one that had bedded down jumped up and started to run off but stopped at about 15ys. I drew back and let one fly. Oh, no! I was sitting on the ground and it all happened so fast that I did not realize my cant and when I let go my bottom limb slapped the ground and the arrow never made it to the goat. After they spooked, Clint got this pic of me at full draw:

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 039.jpg
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	24893355

Oh, well, I always say that a clean miss is better than a bad hit anyday. This stalk was a blast and I just had a bit of bum luck at the end. We spent the rest of the afternoon looking for more goats but never found any more. At about dark it was time to pack it in and go set up camp. We need some rest after all the walking and still had another day of hunting to go.

G'day mates,

Bisch

--------------------
    TGMM Family of the Bow

All the way to Australia to hunt rabbits and goats?
    Nice read though.

Comment

Here is a pic of our camp. It was along the banks of a small river that is the border between the states of Queensland and New South Wales.

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 029.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	24060806

We slept in swags (Aussie for sleeping bag) on the ground, under the stars. No tent or anything. This was the first place where Australia really jumped out at me. There were wild cockatoos, parrots, and parakeets flying around. I saw kangaroos and wallabys while walking through the woods:

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 024.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	24060807

And there was a 3 foot lizard too. Everyone told me to watch out for spiders and snakes over here before I left home. I still have not seen a snake but there are millions of spiders over here:

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 023.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	24060808

Clint claims they are harmles, but at about 3-4 inches long, they looked pretty mean to me and I made sure to stay clear of them.

And who would have thought that after a 15hr flight I would end up 97 kilometers from home? :

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 016.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	24060809

More to come soon-

Bisch

--------------------

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
        All the way to Australia to hunt rabbits and goats?
        Nice read though.
        This was just a warm-up. Red Stags are up next week!

Bisch

Comment

Sounds like a great trip, keep'em coming. I am in.

Comment

Awesome. Keep up the updates. This gona be a fun read along

Comment

Looks like you are having a great time over there.

Comment

Day 2 of the goat hunt was another great day in the Australian bush. Clint decided he wanted to hunt a new place where he had never hunted before. We went and met the landowner and after some advice from him, struck out into the woods. We found a mob of goats right off the bat. They crossed a fence and we lost them in the bush. We then started to make our way around the face of hill towards another mob we had seen while driving into the proprty. They were a couple ridges over and we were not exactly sure where they were. As we were making our way we looked down the hillside towards a small stock tank and discovered that another mob of gots had moved in there for a drink. We made our way down the hill and decided on a stalking game plan. Clint put me in the lead again and I made a stalk I am proud of all the way to within about 17yds of the goats. After missing one yesterday I was not in a mood to be picky so I had my eyes set on the closest one which was a small white billy. He was bedded down and closest to me. I crept in and got up on my knees for the shot when all of sudden the billy got up and began to move away. I came to full draw and loosed an arrow when the goat was right at 20yds. I am not sure what is going on now but I whiffed one right over his back and sent my Silverflame tipped arrow right into a rock wall behind where he had been standing (this is the first Silverflame that I have ever had break). Here is a few more pics:

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 041.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	24060814

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 043.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	24060815

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 038.jpg
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	24060816

The next pic should have been a glory pic.....but it was not to be. The score is now Goats-2, Bisch-0!

Bisch

Comment

This is awesome!! Stay safe n keep having fun!!

Comment

It looks like you had a great time so far! I'll keep checking for pics and details.

Comment

After that little hiccup, we decide to again go look for the goats a couple ridges over. We started up the first hill and Clint saw a termite mound and we decided to shoot an arrow at it. Clint went first and hit it squarely. His arrow laid across the face of the mound and I decided to aim at a spot a couple inches above his arrow. OOPS! I let go and SMACK, pieces of arrow went in two different directions. I had center-punched Clint's arrow and broke it in two.

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 035.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	24060817

After the apologies we continued on our way. I heard Clint mumbling something kind of under his breath about making Bisch go first the next time we go stump shooting!

We made it about halfway up the hill when all of a sudden we see two goats about 50 yds from us heading down the same hill we are on. We ducked down and watched them go down the hill to the same tank I had just missed the small white billy at. We turned around and made our way back down the hill to find a mob of goats with seeral nice billies and one huge one.

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 050.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	24060818

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 046.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	24060819

I could not get in front of them because it was too open but They were just behind the tank dam and I made my stalk behind and then up the dam.

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 040.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	24060820

Once again I made a great stalk to the dam. Once on top, I realized that the BIG billy was too far away but there was a beautiful brown billy still close enough. I waited for him to turn quartered away and then stood up and took a shot. OMG - right over his back and I missed again. Goats-3, Bisch-0!

We spent the rest of the day walking around and looking for more goats but it ws not to be. This was an absolutely amazing hunt in a truely beautiful place. Even though I could not hit one I had a great time chasing them around and was really proud of my stalking ability. I don't get to hunt that way a lot. Anyway I have my red stag hunt still to come next week so maybe I got all the misses out of the way, for this trip anyway.

Clint and Roxanne, I cannot thank you enough for taking me into your house and showing me such great hospitality! If you guys ever come to Texas we will hunt together again, my friend. And if I ever get back there, a Cape York pig hunt is on the list!

Oh yeah, remember back in my first post where I said I had earned a new title? I almost forgot to let you all in on that one.

I am now known as:

"THE WORST GOAT HUNTER IN THE WORLD"

G'day mates and I'll check in again after the red deer hunt.

Bisch

Comment

Keep the stories and pics rolling in as you have them. I'll be following this one

Comment

Here are a few more random pics from my weekend:

A little scenery

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 032.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	24060821

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 060.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	24060822

Aussie mail boxes

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 058.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	24060823

"The Goat Cave" - Clint said he had actually shot a goat licking minerals from the walls inside this cave once.

Name:	3-12 Aus Goat Hunt 028.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	24060824
                          Last edited by Bisch; 03-26-2012, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Awesome! Can't wait to read about the Red Stag hunt.

Comment

Those are some realy cool pics!!! I'm looking forward to more coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X