No announcement yet.

20% cattle cubes or bucket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alfalfa pellets work better than cattle cubes on my place and the coons wont eat them either. Right now the deer on my place are eating the alfalfa pellets as good as the protein. I have never seen deer eat out of a protein tub.

Comment

When I had cows I would feed them a 14% creep feed. The deer would stand there and wait until they were done and then go lick the trough clean.

Comment

Never seen the deer on the tubs at our place
        Cubes I never tried for deer

Comment

How much are the tubs?

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
            How much are the tubs?
            $55 at Atwood's for the 200 lb. 20%.

Comment

I was told by a biologist there wouldn't be as much benefit in feeding cattle feed, as there is in feed designed for deer. Cattle feed is designed for ruminants, and not easily digestible by deer. Sure, they'll eat it, but are they getting anything out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                I was told by a biologist there wouldn't be as much benefit in feeding cattle feed, as there is in feed designed for deer. Cattle feed is designed for ruminants, and not easily digestible by deer. Sure, they'll eat it, but are they getting anything out of it?
                Deer are ruminants also.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                  Deer are ruminants also.
                  This is certainly true but their digestion differs a bit from cattle is what I think he was attempting to convey to me. I'd certainly like to feed cattle feed its far cheaper.
                  Last edited by Montec man; 07-12-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

A buddy of mine feeds his deer horse pellets 13% protein. Works in his protein feeders. I haven't tried it but I don't feed a lot of protein. I'll just stay with the 20% deer pellets.

My neighbor put out two tubs on two fence lines. I didn't know what they were but the blue buckets caught my eye so I drove over to the fence to check it out. The deer never touched them.

Comment

Working...
                    X