Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Buck and Axis, how often do they breed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can black buck not jump fences?

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
      I think they can but they generally do not.

I have heard people say they will stay inside a good barbwire fence if not pressured.

I am no expert on them so maybe someone with experience will confirm or destroy what I typed

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
        I think they can but they generally do not.

I have heard people say they will stay inside a good barbwire fence if not pressured.

I am no expert on them so maybe someone with experience will confirm or destroy what I typed
        I have heard the same thing but the population has exploded in central Texas on them and I know of three ranches (all fenced well with 6 strand BW) that have never bought a single one and see them on a regular basis so someone some where jumped a fence.

Comment

We have pretty good fencing on our place, would be cool to have them running around out there controllably of course. Do yall know if they eat everything like a goat?

Comment

This is very interesting. We just released 6 females to go along with the 2 males that we already had on there. I am curious to see how quickly they populate.

Comment

I have not had the success some of you had. I started with 2 females and 1 male and 8 years later I have 5 females and 1 male. I had to replace the original male from what appeared to be a snake bite would that killed him when he was just about to get to harvest size. We have shot 3 females. I guess bobcats have killed several of the fawns (since I see way more bobcats than coyotes). This is on a high fence place.

Comment

I've heard bobcats take a toll on BB...Buff has this issue at his place unfortunately

Comment

Axis breed twice a year. There are summer bucks and winter bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Grady_jones View Post
                    Axis breed twice a year. There are summer bucks and winter bucks.
                    I'll add on to this a bit and say that axis does usually come into heat twice a year, but don't always breed twice a year. And they can come into heat anytime during the year. That's why in a given trail cam picture, we can have nubbers, half grown velvet, full grown velvet, and hard horns all in the same image.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
                      They can, and will when heavily pressured. They do prefer to go through fences versus over them on our place (majority of it is old field net). This is on a LF place.

Comment

A couple years ago, a high fence place here in west Kerr that I know of, the landowner asked several of ous to come kill coyotes on his property. They were killing all his newborn BB fans. I never go to make it out there.

Comment

Axis does only produce fawns once a year. The gestation is over 7 months, not possible to fit 2 of those into a 1-year period. They usually have only 1 fawn, sometimes twins. Much confusion over axis deer breeding. Individual deer (bucks and does) are on a specific cycle (that does not change), but within a population several deer can be on different cycles. For bucks, at the same time, one may be hard-antlered, one may have just shed, and yet another may be mid-velvet. Remember that a buck cannot successfully breed unless he has hardened antlers (due to testosterone levels). So, receptive does are usually available year-round. Wouldn't work to have a doe in estrous with no capable buck. By selectively harvesting bucks that are hard-antlered during the time of the year you do not want them to be, you can 'sync' all of your axis to be on the same breeding cycle (if desired).

Blackbuck gestation is only 5 months. Can fawn twice in a year, but usually do not as it is too energetically expensive to produce and raise the young. Usually single fawns, but can twin.

Comment

Working...
                          X