No announcement yet.

Protein consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 lbs in 3 weeks is a lot! I went up last weekend and topped off my feeders and the deer had eaten 500lbs in 3 weeks. My corn feeders are throwing a lot of corn and they seemed to be hitting that more so. I think the mature does are still getting pushed out/chased by the immature bucks though (at leas that's what I observed sitting in my stand). So that may be contributing to the lack of consumption. It is not unusual for 1200lbs to be gone in 3 weeks. Think everyone else on the lease had filled up everything too so that helps.

Comment

Now that is one thing. I did cut my corn feeders down to 3sec. My thought was to get them to eat more protein. Yup it worked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

your consumption rate seems high. Do you have any coons on your place? They can really do a number on your protein if not dealt with. I came across a neat product on here you might be interested in.

Check out www.coonhood.com

there is a couple of threads floating around on TBH that talk about them but I think they are still pretty new. Im thinking about buying some but wanted to see some of the review before doing so.

Comment

Protein consumption

There are coons but according to pictures they are only eating on is on the ground. And not very many. I set traps every time I’m out there and usually catch 1-2, that seems to be keeping them in check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Protein consumption

42 tons of protein and 11 tons of cottonseed since Jan 10 in 20 protein feeders and 16 cottonseed feeders on 3400 acres.

With the dry conditions and several hard freezes, the deer hit the feed hard and haven’t let up.
            Last edited by Peyton; 02-09-2018, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
              42 tons of protein and 11 tons of cottonseed since Jan 10 in 20 protein feeders and 16 cottonseed feeders on 3400 acres.

With the dry conditions and several hard freezes, the deer hit the feed hard and haven’t let up.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                I know most of you will laugh at this because you deal with it every month. But I started protein last March and they have eaten a ton in 3-4 months. I filled it again on Dec 28 and went out this weekend to put up 2 more. Mine was empty! A ton in 35 days! I need a second job!
                Here they can eat a ton in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Need to clarify, we’ve put out 28 tons and I just ordered 14 tons.

Comment

New here and just getting started on some management. So protein an cotton seed is the way to go? I’m about to start protein also but was just going to throw corn with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                      Need to clarify, we’ve put out 28 tons and I just ordered 14 tons.
                      wow. lucky deer!

Comment

105 tons put out. Have slowed down considerably. Green up is early this year I think.

We had a good snow in December. Does that have a better effect on the range conditions than rain?

Comment

Working...
                        X