Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
    The weight loss is equally as important to me as the energy stabilization. Glucose dependent diets (even non "dieting" calorie levels) have always been less than ideal for me. Historically, If I miss my meal times by two hours or more, I have issues. Headaches, weak trembles, dizziness, fatigue... glucose crashes are a **tc*
    This is an issue ketone based diets have been proven to help with.

If weight loss was the only goal, I would add 300 calories of extra cardio to my day.

I completely agree that all dietary changes work only as long as they are continually adhered to. I also agree that many people can not use many different dieting styles. Body styles, chemistry, and health levels are different from person to person. This particular diet was chosen from my previous comfort in the intermittent fasting program (hitting a state of ketosis intermittently) as well as an evaluation of how my own body has reacted to different energy sources over my lifetime. My DO. happens to agree with me on the decision. It's not a silver bullet, but it is something I am willing to try. If my body adapts well to it, it is also a diet I can do permanently very easily. Literally the only "food" I will miss is beer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can have a beer. Just zero carb it for the day. One day, I grilled, drank 2 IPA'S and 2 glasses of bourbon and still was in ketosis the following morning. It was small on the stick but popped to moderate after I hit a gym session that am. All I ate with that was steak and veggies. Just don't make a habit of the beer. I will usually have that or a bourbon every 2-3 wks.

Comment

The weight loss is equally as important to me as the energy stabilization. Glucose dependent diets (even non "dieting" calorie levels) have always been less than ideal for me. Historically, If I miss my meal times by two hours or more, I have issues. Headaches, weak trembles, dizziness, fatigue... glucose crashes are a **tc*
      This is an issue ketone based diets have been proven to help with.

If weight loss was the only goal, I would add 300 calories of extra cardio to my day.

I completely agree that all dietary changes work only as long as they are continually adhered to. I also agree that many people can not use many different dieting styles. Body styles, chemistry, and health levels are different from person to person. This particular diet was chosen from my previous comfort in the intermittent fasting program (hitting a state of ketosis intermittently) as well as an evaluation of how my own body has reacted to different energy sources over my lifetime. My DO. happens to agree with me on the decision. It's not a silver bullet, but it is something I am willing to try. If my body adapts well to it, it is also a diet I can do permanently very easily. Literally the only "food" I will miss is beer...

I am curious about your situation where you can't eat for 8 to 10 hours... i go through that, but I call it sleep.

I have missed a lunch or two before and don't have any crashes. I attribute that to my glycogen stores I maintain because I exercise and keep my muscle mass up. I have bonked on a bike, but have never ever bonked sitting in a chair (as some have described) unless I am overweight and out of shape.

When I hear friends on these no carb diets talk about feeling like crap when they eat carbs... sounds alot like bonking to me. The same bonking that folks with diabetes go through.

But keep in mind, I am not living the extreme other fad (no fat.) I keep it all in balance. I eat fat and protien and can go strerches without eating... I eat carbs, so I can use and quickly restore glycogen levels.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
        Not a fan of fad diets. Calories in versus calories out. Period.
        Cal in vs Cal out is bogus. You think 100 calories of lean beef or fish is equal to 100 calories of twinkles? Your body is going to treat those calories/nutrients differently. It's not as simple as just burning more than you take in. Thats why proper diet is important, you can just eat **** and expect to outwork it and lose weight.

For some folks, eating a diet higher in carbs works for them. It never did for me, even in the Marine Corps as a grunt and when training for Recon, I had to modify my diet, I couldn't just eat whatever I wanted even though I was burning a butt load of calories every day.

denimdeerslayer
        Well I have done Atkins before and had great results. I lost over 30 lbs in a month doing that and exercising. Plus I even quit copenhagen at the same time. That was over ten years ago and I have now gotten back to being way to heavy. Mostly due to the fact I moved to an office job and working long hours yet eating way too much of anything I wanted. I am now starting again and will look at this closely and see how it goes. It seems many of you are pretty fit and using this to get cut. Myself I am looking at just burning off the fat.
        So my starting weight is 460 lbs. Lets see how it goes.
        If you do it, I bet you'll drop some serious weight to begin. Be sure to add some sort of exercise, even if just walking. You'll begin feeling better quick! Update us if you start this path.

Comment

Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          I am curious about your situation where you can't eat for 8 to 10 hours... i go through that, but I call it sleep.

I am a flight attendant and it isn't uncommon to have 5, sometimes 6, flights back to back. 1 hour to 1.5 hour flights with 35 minute ground times. The 35 min ground time includes deplaning, cleaning, boarding, emergency briefing and security duties... the flight includes serving 48 people per flight attendant at once. I typically can't get a break for food until about 1:45 long flights (if my people aren't needy).
          I try not to work the days set up like this, but I am extremely junior as far as seniority. Junior people like me get the worst shifts.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
            Cal in vs Cal out is bogus. You think 100 calories of lean beef or fish is equal to 100 calories of twinkles? Your body is going to treat those calories/nutrients differently. It's not as simple as just burning more than you take in. Thats why proper diet is important, you can just eat **** and expect to outwork it and lose weight.
            LMAO!!!!!!!! Dude, are you freakin serious??! It is 100% calories in versus calories out! If you eat 600 calories worth of twinkies every day, you lose a ton of weight. I don't care if you eat lard. If you burn more than you eat, you lose weight. I lost 50 pounds 3 years ago, and have kept it off. If you want to lose weight and not deal with all the BS, get a calorie counter app for your phone and start at 1200 per day.

The best foods are those highest in protein and lowest in calories. Fish, shrimp, white chicken, etc. Especially important when you want to shed fat and maintain or build muscle.

Comment

LMAO!!!!!!!! Dude, are you freakin serious??! It is 100% calories in versus calories out! If you eat 600 calories worth of twinkies every day, you lose a ton of weight. I don't care if you eat lard. If you burn more than you eat, you lose weight. I lost 50 pounds 3 years ago, and have kept it off. If you want to lose weight and not deal with all the BS, get a calorie counter app for your phone and start at 1200 per day.

The best foods are those highest in protein and lowest in calories. Fish, shrimp, white chicken, etc. Especially important when you want to shed fat and maintain or build muscle.
              Then explain Jason Wittrocks 4k 21 day challenge were he lost weight? And he ate around 1200 calorie over his maintenence.

Comment

I am a flight attendant and it isn't uncommon to have 5, sometimes 6, flights back to back. 1 hour to 1.5 hour flights with 35 minute ground times. The 35 min ground time includes deplaning, cleaning, boarding, emergency briefing and security duties... the flight includes serving 48 people per flight attendant at once. I typically can't get a break for food until about 1:45 long flights (if my people aren't needy).
                I try not to work the days set up like this, but I am extremely junior as far as seniority. Junior people like me get the worst shifts.

I figured it had to be something where you were on your feet, but not what I would call high exertion. Those days lull you into thinking you are doing nothing, but the reality is so much different. Reminds me a lot of recruiting fairs... standing for 10-12 hours, constantly talking, shaking hands with people, very few breaks, not on your own schedule. Those days were miserable until I finally broke it down and attacked it like a 10 hour workout (I used to ride for 7 hours on a bike without only bathroom breaks.) On days like that, I'd rather not eat lunch. Eat a good fiber/cereal breakfast, Drink lots of fluids, non-sugary fluids, and snack on trail mix/jerky/cereal bars whenever I got a free 20-30 second break. After those days, reload on some good carbs/protein and the next morning it felt like nothing. Those were great calorie deficit days because I ate less throughout the day, but ate very small, quick, slow burning food that didn't need to be refrigerated and I could keep in a pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                  Then explain Jason Wittrocks 4k 21 day challenge were he lost weight? And he ate around 1200 calorie over his maintenence.
                  Had to Google him. Looks like a professional body builder? You buying what he's selling? Science doesn't lie. If you burn more than you eat, you loose weight. I'm just an average Joe not an internet body builder. What worked for me was calorie counting. And it's way easier than people think.

Comment

Ps. I'm not saying this Ketogenic diet doesn't work. Never tried it. However, it's safer and easier to just watch your calories and do a little exercising.

Comment

Had to Google him. Looks like a professional body builder? You buying what he's selling? Science doesn't lie. If you burn more than you eat, you loose weight. I'm just an average Joe not an internet body builder. What worked for me was calorie counting. And it's way easier than people think.

He's a fitness guy not a bb'er but that's splitting hairs. I don't buy his bf% but he seams as a non snake oil kinda guy.

Comment

He's a fitness guy not a bb'er but that's splitting hairs. I don't buy his bf% but he seams as a non snake oil kinda guy.
                        Gotcha. We'll I'm just a bow hunting and fishing nut and just sharing what worked for me.
                        Attached Files

Comment

While it's true what you say, 600 calories of whatever you will lose the same amount of "weight" it's the type of weight that might surprise you. 600 calories of twinkies and your body is stripping amino acids from your muscle tissue, it HAS to have them, they are essential. 600 calories of steak/chicken/veggies and guess what... So if you want to be skinny-fat then by all means eat those 600 calories of twinkies.

In the end, keto diets are also simply calories in vs calories out. The benefits are far greater than simply dropping some "weight" and in fact I'm currently bulking on a keto diet so intentionally gaining weight.

I'm not disagreeing with your main point though, it IS easier for MOST people to simply restrict calories.

edit: Great progress by the way ^^
                          Last edited by justletmein; 03-21-2017, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            While it's true what you say, 600 calories of whatever you will lose the same amount of "weight" it's the type of weight that might surprise you. 600 calories of twinkies and your body is stripping amino acids from your muscle tissue, it HAS to have them, they are essential. 600 calories of steak/chicken/veggies and guess what... So if you want to be skinny-fat then by all means eat those 600 calories of twinkies.

In the end, keto diets are also simply calories in vs calories out. The benefits are far greater than simply dropping some "weight" and in fact I'm currently bulking on a keto diet so intentionally gaining weight.
                            Agreed. That's why I followed up with the best foods being those highest in protein and lowest in calories. Only thing that bothered me was the comment about calories in versus calories out being "bogus".

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                              I figured it had to be something where you were on your feet, but not what I would call high exertion. Those days lull you into thinking you are doing nothing, but the reality is so much different. Reminds me a lot of recruiting fairs... standing for 10-12 hours, constantly talking, shaking hands with people, very few breaks, not on your own schedule. Those days were miserable until I finally broke it down and attacked it like a 10 hour workout (I used to ride for 7 hours on a bike without only bathroom breaks.) On days like that, I'd rather not eat lunch. Eat a good fiber/cereal breakfast, Drink lots of fluids, non-sugary fluids, and snack on trail mix/jerky/cereal bars whenever I got a free 20-30 second break. After those days, reload on some good carbs/protein and the next morning it felt like nothing. Those were great calorie deficit days because I ate less throughout the day, but ate very small, quick, slow burning food that didn't need to be refrigerated and I could keep in a pocket.

Thats a pretty spot on description, but the one thing that is different is the constantly moving floor. I was really suprised at the fatigue level from a day of flying when I started, especially when my previous job was much more labor intensive. Probably a low-moderate exertion level. Longer flight days are much more leisurely.

If I could eat a decent sized breakfast, your description above would be perfect. For some reason, I need a couple hours before I can eat without getting nauseous.

Comment

Easy. If you pay attention to your body during weight loss, gains, and changing eating habbits, you will know what happened and why. I don't even have to google it.

It is a big pile of poop. I bet his poop could fuel a fire for quite some time. His poop was taking a bubble bath in a pool of foamy ****. His body just didn't process all those calories.

Comment

Working...
                                X