• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Young gun 12 View Post
    Sako!
    Looking at those or Tikka.

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
      Ha....I was gonna say APR special and a Tasco. But, if I were in your shoes I would think seriously about getting the APR special then save up for a scope.
      Another vote for this and save for the scope when you can. You will be way happier in the long run and be able to build the exact specs you want with the given options.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
        like everyone else..tikka ctr and leupold vx5 or zeiss hd5

or

APR build and just aim down the barrel
        Definitely considering the APR which has really led me to this question. What am I gaining by the custom vs a Sako or Tikka? I honestly don't know and that's why I am asking.
        I feel like i can get a pretty good rifle for a grand or so and decent glass with the remainder. I have plenty of decent to good guns but this would be something I would give to my son on down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
          Definitely considering the APR which has really led me to this question. What am I gaining by the custom vs a Sako or Tikka? I honestly don't know and that's why I am asking.

I feel like i can get a pretty good rifle for a grand or so and decent glass with the remainder. I have plenty of decent to good guns but this would be something I would give to my son on down the line.

APR is a true custom build with next level attention to detail not mass produced. You get to pick chamfering, fluting, color of stock, colors of cerekote and end up with a one of a kind rifle instead of one just like everyone else’s.

Comment

$2000 Rifle Budget

If I had 2k laying around I would have one of these on order in .264 win mag or .270 win.

Top it with one of these

Shop Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm Rifle Scope | 4.6 Star Rating on 14 Reviews for Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm Rifle Scope + Free Shipping over $49.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You build the custom to YOUR specs not setting for a manufacturer's specs. For example I love the Tikka CTR but hate the stock so now I would be buying two stocks in essence instead of building it the way I want it. I would also argue that accuracy would be slightly better on the custom but that depends on how well you shoot

Comment

$2000 Rifle Budget

Or maybe one of these 2. But probably go with the dark maple I posted above. And if your planning on handing it down to your son these would be heirloom quality rifles for a long time and still should be good shooters as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by westtexducks; 01-31-2018, 02:30 PM.

Comment

So from an appearance factor I understand they will be much more unique or personalized, but from a longevity or performance standpoint I am just not sure how much better a rifle they would be than say a Browning, Sako, Tikka etc.. I know the "cool factor will be less but that's okay. So for decent glass $1000 and under and decent rifle $1000 or less, how much better is a 2k rifle with a 1k scope?

Comment

So from an appearance factor I understand they will be much more unique or personalized, but from a longevity or performance standpoint I am just not sure how much better a rifle they would be than say a Browning, Sako, Tikka etc.. I know the "cool factor will be less but that's okay. So for decent glass $1000 and under and decent rifle $1000 or less, how much better is a 2k rifle with a 1k scope?
                    It is about odds of getting an AWESOME shooting rifle.

Production now days is much better but not perfect.

Custom will be perfect.

Just like some $99 dollar barrels will shoot with $600 barrels. But not many and only after extensive break in periods. But almost every $600 barrel will shoot lights out.

Comment

Not trying to "sell" you on the TBH special, just trying to provide an honest answer to your question. The big bullet points are you're getting a true custom action that is a definite step up from factory offerings. You are also getting a premium quality barrel with a chamber job averaging .0002 TIR that's concentric with the bore. The finer points are that you get to choose the little details like twist rate and barrel length to set the gun up for the bullets you intend to shoot, and the finish options so it ends up looking exactly like YOU want it to. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
                      Robert
                      Alamo Precision Rifles
                      aprifles.com

Comment

Browning Hells canyon long range. Love mine shoots great looks great and is bedded from the factory. Thinking this might be a gun a keep a while for once.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Comment

Have some play money and am looking at 2k for rifle and scope. I know opinions vary wildly but for an all purpose hunting rifle what would you buy?

Haha! I just did this. I bought a Barret Fieldcraft in 6.5 X 55 and am purchasing a Swarovzki Z3 to put on it. My total cost will be closer to $2200 though.

Comment

Put this together not too long ago. Could have gone many routes, but I've wanted to build this one for a really long time.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308
                            Manners stock pillar bedded (picked up for half the cost of new in Manners ready to ship section of their site)
                            Harris bipod
                            Vortex optics

I'm about to fully bed the action, and I'll eventually upgrade the trigger, bolt, and bottom metal to detachable, but that starts getting outside the 2K mark.

Took the Hogue stock that came stock on the rifle and put a dowel on it so my son could have his very own rifle as well. It has since been painted

Comment

Sako A7 1,000.00
                              Nightforce SHV 1,000.00
                              7mm magnum- 150 grain ballistic silvertips- .75 groups

Comment

I would go custom as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X