6.2L Chevy OR 5.7 Tundra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    I have a company truck so getting one is silly.

My wife's Tahoe is paid for but this new RST makes me giddy...not gonna compete with the SRT Grand Cherokee but she's not a player for it anyway & this still makes me smile.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...st-first-look/
    Well thanks for that! My truck may be staying for a while as my wife drives around in that! We have a '16 Citadel AWD with the 5.7 Hemi. She is always complaining about how lazy it is and coming from a Tahoe this will be what she wants..

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
      Wrong - the 6.0 has had AFM since maybe 2007 or 08, are you thinking of the 4.8? The only non AFM 6.0 that I am aware of is the L96 in the 2500.

No I'm talking about the 6.0 in the 2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post

This thread is about half ton trucks. The L96 was never available in a half ton. Unless I am just off my rocker here. As far as I remember the Vortec Max 6.0 (LQ9) was available in the half ton but that is absolutely an AFM config. The LQ4 I am not as sure about.

Comment

Well thanks for that! My truck may be staying for a while as my wife drives around in that! We have a '16 Citadel AWD with the 5.7 Hemi. She is always complaining about how lazy it is and coming from a Tahoe this will be what she wants..
          I had a 14 Durango Hemi Tuned, Cold air intake, Borla exhaust, bigger throttle body, etc...it would giddy up, but all it did was feed the monkey & how I ended up with the ZL1.

This new Jeep Trackhawk Dodge came out with is insane...go take a look. Let's put a Hellcat engine in a Grand Cherokee!! 707 HP grocery getter. Get her one & she won't complain about anything but the price. I reckon $10k AMD over sticker minimum if you are lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post

I don't think my 6.0 2011 2500 has ADM?? Nor does the pump, but it is impressive...I hit 297,000 miles today. I got it with 180k a little over a year ago & nothing but regular maintenance.

It's a dog on the acceleration but solid on reliability.

Comment

I had a 14 Durango Hemi Tuned, Cold air intake, Borla exhaust, bigger throttle body, etc...it would giddy up, but all it did was feed the monkey & how I ended up with the ZL1.

This new Jeep Trackhawk Dodge came out with is insane...go take a look. Let's put a Hellcat engine in a Grand Cherokee!! 707 HP grocery getter. Get her one & she won't complain about anything but the price. I reckon $10k AMD over sticker minimum if you are lucky.
              I will let this thought stay in my mind. If we go she will come home with one if it is on the lot. That will put a dent in my gun fund.

Comment

I don't think my 6.0 2011 2500 has ADM?? Nor does the pump, but it is impressive...I hit 297,000 miles today. I got it with 180k a little over a year ago & nothing but regular maintenance.

It is an L96 6.0. They are rock solid and do not have AFM.

Comment

Which one pushed you that way? All of them will be that way in the future. If you are worried about it a tune will put the AFM to bed.
                  Not sure about Jaybo, but a co-worker just spent over $3000 on his 5.3L AFM with 58,000 miles!!! All issues were AFM related. I'll gladly burn some more gas in order to not deal with that system.

Comment

Originally posted by ckat View Post
                    Not sure about Jaybo, but a co-worker just spent over $3000 on his 5.3L AFM with 58,000 miles!!! All issues were AFM related. I'll gladly burn some more gas in order to not deal with that system.
                    Are you admitting that the Tundra burns more fuel than Obama golfs?

Comment

Are you admitting that the Tundra burns more fuel than Obama golfs?
                      I'm actually very pleased with my Tundra mileage. It beats my old 5.3L GMs in every category - town, highway, and towing. That is all calculated...

To clarify, I will gladly give up ANY fuel mileage gained by AFM to not have AFM. Guess I'm old-fashioned, but it's just another system to screw up. And GM hasn't done much convincing that it is a bulletproof system...

Comment

You are correct. The 6.0 motors in the 2500 are not aluminum motors and do not have AFM. They are rock solid and I hope they never screw with those.

Comment

No question that GM shot their self in the foot with AFM and VVT. Failure is not a question of IF but WHEN. The 5.3 and 6.0 Gen III vortec pre AFM are the best engines ever built by GM, best fuel economy and best reliability. If only they had married it with an 8 or 10 speed tranny. As for the AFM, it don't work so good. I have never heard of an AFM engine getting better fuel economy than a non AFM Vortec and the ones that have disabled it started to get better mileage by 1 or 2 mpg.
                          Last edited by muzzlebrake; 09-08-2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            No question that GM shot their self in the foot with AFM and VVT. Failure is not a question of IF but WHEN. The 5.3 and 6.0 Gen III vortec pre AFM are the best engines ever built by GM, best fuel economy and best reliability. If only they had married it with an 8 or 10 speed tranny. As for the AFM, it don't work so good. I have never heard of an AFM engine getting better fuel economy than a non AFM Vortec and the ones that have disabled it started to get better mileage by 1 or 2 mpg.
                            Yep. I have an 04 5.3 with 190,000 and it still runs like it has 20,000 on it. Wifes 07 Tahoe has 115,00 and started acting stupid. Never had get up and go mpg sucked anyway. Bought the Range module for it to deactivate the AFM and now it has the get up and go like it should being in V8 mode all the time, runs better and mileage has actually gotten better.

Comment

Originally posted by ckat View Post
                              Dang, $3000? for what?
                              That sounds awful high unless they kept driving it when a lifter failed and chewed up the camshaft?

Comment

I have a 2010 GMC all terrain with the 6.2 with 138,000 miles, and have had no issues at all with this truck. It will jump out from under you at about any speed when you punch it.

Comment

Working...
                                X