No announcement yet.

No Till Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As mentioned, you can rent or have someone that already has the equipment to plant for you. You mentioned that your tractor may not be big enough for much more than your 7' disk. No-Tills are heavy so your tractor may not be big enough to pull it either.

Not sure why some have said that you will need to disk or plow in a few years. Planting brassicas (turnips, radishes, rape, etc) will penetrate the plow pan. I'd suggest looking at elgato's thread, A Year in the Life of a Farm and focus not on the deer but his cover crop operation and you'll learn a lot.

Do you want a pretty hay field or something for your wildlife and cattle? If its food for animals, why spray weeds? They are forage too and deer don't do well on grass alone. There are several seed companies out there, Douglass King, MBS, Green Cover and many more. I would plant as diverse of a crop as possible and as elgato has found out, the Fall cool-season cover crops give you more bang for your buck.

Call your local NRCS office and tell them what you want to do, it's free advice and if your lucky you can get into a contract and get paid to do some of it. They can run some numbers and give you suggestions on what to plant in about 5 minutes. We do it all the time in my office.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
      X