• Show
Clear All

Ouch.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Ouch.

LOL!! It hurts me too bud. I'm on a pretty good lease for my area. It's just weird...I can tag out no problem from a box blind with a rifle. But, I may hunt all year and never have a chance with a bow. I've been talking about it for years, but I'm gonna have to suck it up and drop the money next year for a lease where I'll see more deer. I'm roughly 20 sits in and no opportunities yet. It's a beating. The deer here are just pressured, and smart. I may try to hang a lock on in one more spot. If nothing happens there I don't know what else to do.

Comment

I can put you on some deer at my lease if you wanna fill a couple doe tags.

Comment

good luck, bud

Comment

A little bit of the frustration has worn off and I'm getting a few more daytime pics. I'm gonna try it again this evening. Setting up my Ghost Blind near a feeder that has had some pretty good activity. The wind will be perfect and it's a nice afternoon so we'll see what happens.

Comment

Good hunting.

Comment

Felt good out this evening. Saw a couple does that were too far to shoot, then had one come in close on my downwind side and bust me. They're still eating corn a little bit, but not like they were. Acorns are gonna keep things slow for a while I'm afraid.

Comment

Definitely a bumper crop of acorns. Hang in there. It will happen.

Comment

I don't even know what to say...after all these sits with no chances I had a big doe come into my hand corn at 12 yards, calm, perfectly broadside right at dark this evening. I drew and she had no idea I was in the world. Let it go, and could tell I got a little far forward into the shoulder, but she kicked her back legs up and took off. I didn't get a pass through but still felt good about it. I got out and couldn't see any blood, so I walked back to camp, waited a few minutes, then went back with my 4 wheeler and my son and we started looking. Not a drop of blood, no arrow, nothing...we grid searched probably a 400 yard area of the thickest nastiest stuff you could imagine and never found anything. I thought for sure I'd see my lumenock and find the arrow at least but nothing. This is only the second deer I've lost in my entire life, and the other was when I was a kid. To say I'm sick about it would be an understatement. I'm guessing I hit the bone in her shoulder. I would go look tomorrow, and I might go check for buzzards but the meat would be spoiled anyway. I may not be hunting for a while now!!

Comment

Sorry to read of the experience CRM. Most of us know that bitter taste all to well. Keep shooting and working. Not questioning your thought or visual, but if it was close to dark, any chance you pulled further into the body? I know that does not help find her. Just a thought.

Comment

It's not a good feeling. I know that your skills are improving. One shot does not make or break the archer. You've figured out how to set up to get an east Texas deer in to 12 yards and get a shot off undetected. That's a big accomplishment in itself. Don't give up friend. Knuckle down, shoot more and get back out there.

Comment

No, the Lumenock pretty well showed me where I hit. I knew it was in the shoulder, but must have hit either the joint or shoulder blade. I really thought I'd be ok, I've hit a deer in the shoulder before and found it. Just didn't work out this time.

Comment

Chin up Ryan, I know everybody on here has faith in ya brother! I wouldn’t expect ya to be “ok” with it, but I do know you’ll learn from it, and keep on keeping on! I don’t think there’s a one of us that hasn’t had something similar happen at one time or another. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Keep at it you got a deer within 12yards and that in itself if an accomplishment. A hunter can loose a deer with a rifle shot so keep that in mind. I can not say too much cause the wife wants to move out when I can not find a deer I am hard to live with. All that said dont give up and get back at it soon.

Comment

Thanks y'all. I went back this morning and looked for buzzards and couldn't find any. There's a tank nearby I'm gonna check this afternoon. I've played the shot back a thousand times, and I definitely remember hearing a "crack" on impact. Hopefully I didn't penetrate the shoulder blade and she will get that arrow out and heal up. Not sure how much bow hunting I'll be doing between now and then, but I'm headed back to First Point in a couple weeks so hopefully I can get one there.

Comment

Working...
                                X