No announcement yet.

Bleaching your own skulls.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One piece of advise keep the antlers out of the water.

When boiling/simmering the grease or oil's from the meat can saturate into the antlers. Usually is only noticeable when doing many heads in the same pot. If you keep your water clean it shouldn't be a problem

Comment

Degreasing

Can you submerge some of the antlers in the degreasing solution without harm to the antlers?

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by cshunter View Post
          Can you submerge some of the antlers in the degreasing solution without harm to the antlers?

It may sometimes lighten the antler, but that is easily fixed with some antler stain.....

Comment

Where can I find a good antler stain? I have been meaning to find some for a previous skull mount I made which I accidentally bleached the base of the horns.

Comment

either at Van dykes taxidermy or WASCO......they both carry a stain. I have also used old english with some success in the past.......

Comment

where do you get those beetles? And why do you like the beetle method the best?

Comment

there are several places to order the beetles from. Skull Works is a good place to order from. Beetles clean a skull better than any other method and they don't in anyway harm the bone. With a colony working properly you can clean a deer skull in less than 48 hours. I also like them, because I don't have to hang around while the skull simmers all day......

Comment

What kind of temperature/habitat is required to keep a beetle colony? Can it be just room temperature? I'm sure too much heat could be an issue, correct? I don't think the wife would be too happy if I wanted to start a colony here inside the house.......so it'd have to be the shed or mayyyybe the garage.

Greg

Comment

Checkout taxidermy.net they have all the answers

Comment

Nice Work!

LWR2

Comment

I've done several but never use the peroxide . Thanks on where to get the 30 to 40 % .

Comment

"You need to wrap the horns with a plastic trash bag taping them off at the base of the horns so none of the peroxide can get on them."

Or - you can cover (smear it all over) the horns with Vaseline - this will keep the the peroxide from penetrating - then when your completely done, just wipe it off with a towel - I've done 6 or 7 like this and it works great.

Comment

may have to give the vaseline trick a try.....sure would be easier than using plastic bags......

Comment

Nice work. Thanks for all of the good information.

Comment

Working...
                                X