No announcement yet.

Boat navigation lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck. You can have lighting moored or on anchor. You just have to have the 360 anchor light on and visible. You can go down the lake with cockpit lights but it just can’t interfere or be mistaken for navigation lighting.

Comment

Boating laws are very few. Google Texas Water Safety Act. You can probably read cover to cover in less than an hour

Comment

The problem is so few people understand what lights mean what. To the average Joe boater its just green on one side and red on the other, white all around and we're good to go. The brighter the better. String 'em all down the side and that's even better.

Y'all have to realize to professional mariners they look at your lights to tell what angle in relation to their vessel you are running. It's very important that your running lights are correct. It's not just about being able to see you, it's about being able to tell your heading. When you string a strip of green and red leds all down the side of your boat they can't tell anything from them except there must be another Wally ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
          The problem is so few people understand what lights mean what. To the average Joe boater its just green on one side and red on the other, white all around and we're good to go. The brighter the better. String 'em all down the side and that's even better.

Y'all have to realize to professional mariners they look at your lights to tell what angle in relation to their vessel you are running. It's very important that your running lights are correct. It's not just about being able to see you, it's about being able to tell your heading. When you string a strip of green and red leds all down the side of your boat they can't tell anything from them except there must be another Wally ahead.
          I love the sporties with the bright LED bars running down the ditch, I wait till they get close them pop em in the eyes with my spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
            I love the sporties with the bright LED bars running down the ditch, I wait till they get close them pop em in the eyes with my spotlight
            Their biggest problem is they put the lights on the burn bar, then "I can see fine" works great until they turn the lights off and their night vision is ruined. This is why they have to leave them on once used. I've always put mine up on the bow, no problem with night vision then so no need to run with it on when other boats are around.

Having said that, intentionally blinding someone could be fairly libelous if they were to crash after you do it.

Comment

IDK, I've heard of those with the LED lights installed in the rub rail getting fined for them not being coast guard legal, an one case of of someone fined at the ramp while the boat was on the trailer moving with the LED lights on.

Comment

Boss. The navigation lights in the rub rail are illegal. You can have led lights on the inside of the cockpit but they can not interfere with another vessels ability to identify your navigation lighting.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Their biggest problem is they put the lights on the burn bar, then "I can see fine" works great until they turn the lights off and their night vision is ruined. This is why they have to leave them on once used. I've always put mine up on the bow, no problem with night vision then so no need to run with it on when other boats are around.

Having said that, intentionally blinding someone could be fairly libelous if they were to crash after you do it.
                  You don’t get it, they’re blinding everyone

Comment

OK so two wrongs make a right. I get it now...

Comment

You act like you're the only one they've run at with lights on. lol... I get it just fine thank you, and been there 1000 times (they're not THAT bright), but intentionally blinding someone with a spotlight directly in the eyes is absolutely different than some idiot running around with a light bar coming at you, a focused spotlight vs a bright non-focused light. Additionally if you're really blinded by their bar you wouldn't "wait til they get real close" as you said. I don't like it any more than you do, but you're gonna feel pretty bad when a boat you spotlighted runs into a dock and somebody dies because of your led bar pet peeve.

edit: I'm going to offer a story you may find funny. I'm always pretty careful to turn my light bar off when it points anywhere remotely at any other boats and don't typically even use it in the ICW, usually it's 2am so nobody to worry about either way. I was in the ICW a little after Harvey and there was still quite a bit of debris floating around. It was well after midnight on a weekday so nobody around. There was a barge leaned up against the side of the waterway as they tend to do while they're waiting. Well he must have been awake and wanted to let me know because as we passed by he shined his light down at us and we lit up so bright it was like daylight on Mercury and I could see the blood flowing through the veins in my arms. Was that you Leemo? He had the courtesy to not shine it in my eyes though, he waited until we were below him and shined down on us.
                      Last edited by justletmein; 07-03-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        OK so two wrongs make a right. I get it now...
                        No....zero (+) zero is still zero
                        Being wrong depends on who’s at the other end of the stick

Comment

I have a light bar on my boat, but rarely use it. I mainly run in the dark, following my gps, or using moonlight, which is also pretty dangerous I guess. Nearly hit a flounder boat last year in the ICW, he had no lights on at all. Luckily, there was enough ambient light out that I saw him last minute. I'm also on the water way earlier than most, I rarely see another boat in the ICW unless it's a barge.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            I have a light bar on my boat, but rarely use it. I mainly run in the dark, following my gps, or using moonlight, which is also pretty dangerous I guess. Nearly hit a flounder boat last year in the ICW, he had no lights on at all. Luckily, there was enough ambient light out that I saw him last minute. I'm also on the water way earlier than most, I rarely see another boat in the ICW unless it's a barge.
                            Good moon or weak moon at the right angle is as good as daylight. Those flounder boats either look like a UFO or no lights at all, rarely see them with "normal" lighting. Light bars help people to avoid hitting not only floating debris but also unlit boats, can't always count on everyone having proper lights (cough, kayakers). Being respectful is key, don't blind other boats if possible... and mount the bar on your bow so your night vision remains intact enough to turn the **** thing off when needed.
                            edit: This isn't directed at you panhandle, just adding on to your comment about the unlit flounder boat and the moon running in the dark.

Comment

I originally had mine mounted on my bar but had to move it to the bow. Kayakers are the worst, all the way around.

Comment

I can't stand those **** LED light bars. Seems like every idiot has to have one. I have yet to see a boat running at night with one on who actually turned it off when approaching another boat. They just blind everyone and don't care one bit. But then, it's all about me nowdays. We aren't worried about anyone else as long as I can see.

Comment

Working...
                                X