Boat navigation lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat navigation lights

I put red / green LED's on my pontoon they are only on the front. Do I need to add more to be seen from the side since my boat front is square? Anyone know if they have to been seen from the side?

Originally posted by brutus View Post
    I put red / green LED's on my pontoon they are only on the front. Do I need to add more to be seen from the side since my boat front is square? Anyone know if they have to been seen from the side?
    Yes they need to be visible from the side

Comment

they have to be at a certain angle.

Comment

Depends where and how they're mounted. Legally they have to be visible from the side, if that's what you're asking.
        Texas: https://www.boat-ed.com/texas/handbo...me-Navigation/

Comment

Add some more LED to each side if you feel self conscious
          Lots of diy on YouTube about this very subject also some very good diy deck lights

Comment

Any craft on the water at night needs a very specific set of navigation lights, and there are at least 3 lights needed the reg/green on the front/side of the craft visible from dead ahead and to the side (and it must be from the same red/green light for the corresponding side. Must be visible 112.5 degrees from dead ahead to abeam (from the side) Red/Port, Green/starboard and a running light that is white visible 225 degrees from each side of front and be a minimum of 1 meter above the navigation lights... USCG and some TPWD guys are real stickler's for these lights... they must also be on at Sundown and remain on until sunrise... Been many tickets issued for boating without lights on between daylight and sun up!! This is especially true when running the Intracoastal waterway... (what most call the intercoasal canal or ICW)...

Comment

+1 on adding those strip LED lights. I put some on my fish ski, about 14” in each color, and let’s just say they’re highly visible.

Comment

All-around white light — 360 degrees visible from two miles.
                Sidelights — 112.5 degrees visible from one mile

Comment

The class of boat you're operating will determine which navigation lights you're required to carry & their location. Learn the different types & requirements now.

Comment

It had to be 112.5 degrees. The only lights that are LED that are legal are put out by a company call TACO lights. That was last year so maybe someone else has came into the market. And you can’t run down the water with all kinds of light on. You lighting can not confuse oncoming boaters as to you navigation lighting. My reccomendation is the buy Coast Guard approved 360 light and red/green navigation lights. I usually warn folks the first time and after that just ask them to press hard enough to get through all three copies. Not sure what the price is where you are but our courts are $244 for Water Safety Violations
                    Last edited by glen; 05-02-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      It had to be 112.5 degrees. The only lights that are LED that are legal are put out by a company call TACO lights. That was last year so maybe someone else has came into the market. And you can’t run down the water with all kinds of light on. You lighting can not confuse oncoming boaters as to you navigation lighting. My reccomendation is the buy Coast Guard approved 360 light and red/green navigation lights. I usually warn folks the first time and after that just ask them to press hard enough to get through all three copies
                      Hard to fix "stupid"...

Comment

Glen knows

Comment

These lights are very heavy duty and bright and super easy to install. These lights can take a beating unlike fragile strip lights.

Super small/super bright. might be good for the use you need

Comment

Thanks all looks like I need to get USCG approved lights on it. Thank you all for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              It had to be 112.5 degrees. The only lights that are LED that are legal are put out by a company call TACO lights. That was last year so maybe someone else has came into the market. And you can’t run down the water with all kinds of light on. You lighting can not confuse oncoming boaters as to you navigation lighting. My reccomendation is the buy Coast Guard approved 360 light and red/green navigation lights. I usually warn folks the first time and after that just ask them to press hard enough to get through all three copies. Not sure what the price is where you are but our courts are $244 for Water Safety Violations
                              While anchored or tied to a structure, can you have any kind of light of any color on as long as they are turned off before the anchor is pulled? Thinking led strips that run the length of the boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X