Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody shot the new ELD-X at a critter yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw this bumped, so I’ll update my experience last year. Shot a 10 pt whitetail at 125 yards with a 6.5 and 143 eld-x. Double lung shot, broke through a rib on the exit. Deer ran about 50 yards and collapsed, no blood trail but a good amount of blood where he fell.

Not really sure what to think, bullet obviously did the job. Most of my deer kills have been neck shots with a .30-06 and are DRT.

Only other deer I remember running with zero blood trail was also a double lung shot that exited with a .30-06 and 165 gr pointed soft point, so maybe that’s just the way it goes sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
      I thought "new?" until I saw the date of this resurrected 18 month old thread

ELD-X are great; I'm suspicious of the guy hunting elk with a 6.5 man bun, not that bullet
      Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        That is odd because the VLD bullets expand violently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not to my experience. Killed whitetail with both 7mm Mag and 308 and got minimal expansion out of either.

Comment

This video has been out a while, but I just came across it yesterday:

Comment

Stating the bullet worked in one caliber vs another is not the same It seems that the 6.5 is very popular but the bullet section is no where near what other calibers are so guys that do not load buy off the shelf .

and the total mixed reviews on that bullet to me at least mean something . Some have good luck others do not ..

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              Not to my experience. Killed whitetail with both 7mm Mag and 308 and got minimal expansion out of either.
              Gotta hit something fairly hard. Lung shot will pass through. My 7 mag is chunking a 180 fast and I have taken lots of different angles on deer within 200 yards. Every one blew up bad. DRT.
              Last edited by trophy8; 06-25-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I have bought some of the ELD-X bullets for my 6.5 and my feedback is mixed, and I have not even pulled the trigger on an animal.
                1.) shooting through a Chrono, muzzle velocities varied as much as 85 FPS from the same box! Shooting from two different boxes I found that the average MV (5 **** strings) from the two different boxes was off by 27 FPS. Both of these are unacceptable.
                2) shooting at 100 yards, from 2 diff rifles, they held tiny groups. At 300, they went to crap due to the wide variance in MV.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntermac View Post
                  I have bought some of the ELD-X bullets for my 6.5 and my feedback is mixed, and I have not even pulled the trigger on an animal.
                  1.) shooting through a Chrono, muzzle velocities varied as much as 85 FPS from the same box! Shooting from two different boxes I found that the average MV (5 **** strings) from the two different boxes was off by 27 FPS. Both of these are unacceptable.
                  2) shooting at 100 yards, from 2 diff rifles, they held tiny groups. At 300, they went to crap due to the wide variance in MV.
                  Yeah, that's unacceptable, but more a function of the load than the bullets. I occasionally run factory ammo if I just don't have time to load, but for the most part, it's reloads for me, especially for long range. I can usually get my velocity SD down to single digits on my hand loads. I'm more interested in terminal performance of the projectiles themselves.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I had load as well, but bought these to get some fire formed brass since I neck size on my precision rifles, and wanted to see how these bullets grouped. Running them
                    Through the chrono was an eye opener.

Comment

Working...
                    X