No announcement yet.

Favorite .30-06 Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use 180 grain Nosler Partitions. They have worked well on elk, deer, antelope, and hogs

Comment

I have been trying out different rounds on my new 30-06. Shot a hog at 50 yards with the Browning BXR. I could not believe the size of the exit wound. He stopped in his tracks with a bad gut shot.

Lots of people seem to like Hornady, but my rifle has been shooting tighter groups with the Browning rounds.. They can be pricey, but it's not a gun I intend to shoot 100's of rounds through..

Comment

My 30-06 didn't like the core lokts for some reason although they have been a great bullet for me in other calibers. I tried the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip and haven't looked back. They shoot great out of my rifle and most of the deer have dropped or been dead within 20 yards of impact. 150 grain is what I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
          Winchester Power Point or Federal Fusion. Why?? Because you're hunting 150 lb whitetail, not 600 lb elk, and you want something that you can find cheap/easily at any Walmart/Academy/hardware store in the state. Any old cup/core bullet ought to work. Not trying to be a smartazz in any way, just see no reason to get fancy/strange when simply hunting deer with a rifle that has more than enough kinetic energy to do the job with just about any 150, 165, or 180 grain bullet.
          If you don't want to reload this is good advise.

Comment

I use a 150 gr. Corelkt for whitetail, and 180 gr. Corelkt for muleies, elk etc.

Comment

They quit making the best I have ever shot. Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claws in 165gr.
              Now I shoot the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip rounds in 165gr.

Comment

My rifle likes 150 grain fusions.

Comment

Barnes 168 gr TSX over a max load of RL19. I'm about out though and will switch to the 150 TTSX when I load the next batch.

LWD

Comment

For deer i have great success with 150grain cor-lokt. Shoulder and they never make it more than 15 yards... only drawback to cor-lokts is long range accuracy. The lead tips tend to deform in 30-06 due to recoil in some rifles. My lightweight tikka is real rough on lead tips.

Comment

My Savage likes the Sierra game king 165 gr. boattail. Whether reloads or Federal Premiums.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        Learn how to reload.
                        Ditto. My .30-06 shot the 165 and 168 grn. Sierras better than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
                          My Savage likes the Sierra game king 165 gr. boattail. Whether reloads or Federal Premiums.

yep! best accuracy for my Ruger as well.

Comment

Scirroco would be my pick. What I shoot in everything but my predator rifle now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoot them through the shoulder.
                              A good portion of the meat that is bloodshot can be restored by keeping it in ice for a couple days. It will be good enough for sausage or jerky at the very least.
                              The blood will leach out of the meat.
                              I've shoulder shot does it 100 yards with a 300 Magnum shooting at Nosler partition bullet and I still get good shoulders beyond what is destroyed by the bullet.
                              Last edited by Brute Killer; 11-27-2017, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X