Plant Id and how to kill it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant Id and how to kill it

Moved to San Angelo recently from the desert of West Texas so dont know any of the plant names. It is some sort of vine with thorns. Want to clear it out from under a huge pecan tree so the animals can get to the pecans and so I can hunt out if the pecan tree. Pics coming shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna hang a ladder stand on the left side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like what I just call green briar. Only way I know how to kill it is dig up the roots, which will have a "tater like" root.

Comment

That looks like greenbriar to me. Deer nip the tops when they're tender.

Comment

Greenbrier, very good deer browse.

Comment

Never tried to kill it before, but it's just as bad dead as alive (poking and pricking). Long sleeve shirt, good leather gloves and yank it out and clip it at ground level.

Comment

24-D or Grazon

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
                Greenbrier, very good deer browse.
                This ^^^^ I would not kill it.

Comment

Just mow it, don't worry about killing it, just mow it a couple times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                    24-D or Grazon
                    This was honestly the answer I was looking for. I was hoping 24D would kill it.

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                    This ^^^^ I would not kill it.
                    Nope it is gonna die. I don't want to fight it getting in and out of the stand. Plus it will probably climb the stand and at the least take over the couple bottom steps. They can eat on all the rest of this crap that is in other places down the creek.

Besides they will have an all you can eat pecan buffet under that tree here in about a month so not to worried about browse. Plus I am going to be feeding corn about 30 yards from that tree so they will have plenty of feed.

Originally posted by furtrapper View Post
                    Just mow it, don't worry about killing it, just mow it a couple times a year.
                    That is way to much work, I hate working a lawn mower in the yard let alone trying to mow this mess. When I can spray it then come in after and knock it out and then keep it beat back with spray yearly why would I deal with a weed eater or lawn mower?

Comment

Remedy

Comment

Deer eat pecans??

Comment

That my man is "deer candy", aka Green Briar, aka Cat Claw. I wouldn't kill it. Put your stand up and don't worry about it. I might would trim it back.

Comment

Cut with a weed eater and spray cut stick ups right after you cut with 24D. It's easier to pull out of trees when green. Trees around my house were covered in it when we bought the place. Been battling the crap for 3 years now. Digging the root will for sure git rid of it but cutting and spraying makes a big difference.

Comment

Green briar.
                              Remedy mixed 2 oz per gallon will kill it.

Comment

Working...
                              X