Boat Trailer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Trailer Question

So, last year I got a new to me bay boat. My third trip to the bay I had a bearing smoke up on me. I replaced both sides and bought a spare set to keep with me.

Well over the weekend I had the same side that smoked up on me, do it again!! Really put a hurt on my weekend fishing because once I put the spare on with no seals I didn't want to put it back in the water because I still needed to get 75 miles back home.

Anyhow, when I bought the trailer the guy that had some work done to it said McClain Trailers advised if the trailer were to be replaced, it needs to be a tandem axle. I agree!!

That boat is too big to be sitting on a single axle.

So do I:

Take current trailer to shop and have them put two new axles on it.
    or
    Buy completely new trailer and be done with it.

Thoughts? Who has replaced a trailer on a boat? Good manufacturers?

Thanks guys and gals!
    Attached Files

Just have McClain build you a new one. Boat will have to go to then toward the end of the process. You want led and all stainless fastener upgrade. Was $3500-4 several years ago when I did it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Criagslist for new trailer that is right size. BOat trailers are fairly easy to find.

Comment

Get recommendation from McClain. They put an extra axle on my trailer a few years ago. It would cost less than a new trailer.

Comment

So McClain is pretty respected place I take it?

Comment

Take it to ty at texall trailers in Conroe and ask him. Closer, easier and better than McClain and I own a mcclain

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Call Marty at Coastline trailers in Seadrift. Builds trailers for most all bay boats these days, stands behind his work, and great trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                Criagslist for new trailer that is right size. BOat trailers are fairly easy to find.
                I would go this route but would need to be very new. I don't want to trade a problem for another problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Take it to ty at texall trailers in Conroe and ask him. Closer, easier and better than McClain and I own a mcclain

Originally posted by mfarmer View Post
                  Call Marty at Coastline trailers in Seadrift. Builds trailers for most all bay boats these days, stands behind his work, and great trailer.
                  Thanks for the options!

Comment

Adding an axle and new fenders would be most cost effective option. In fact 2 new torsion axles with oil bath hubs would be cheaper than new I bet

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Adding an axle and new fenders would be most cost effective option. In fact 2 new torsion axles with oil bath hubs would be cheaper than new I bet

Yeah, I guess I just need to get it into a shop and hear them out and get it quoted both ways!

Comment

Tandem would be nice and pull easier but I don’t think weight is your issue. Tons of 20’ boats come standard on single axle trailers and never have issues. Not sure if you have a bent spindle or what but you for sure have something other than a weight issue.

Comment

If it were me, I would just swap the 3500lb axle for a 5600lb axle. Just a matter of undoing bolts.....
                          Another option is having two torsion axles welded straight to the frame. Will be fast than re-doing all the perch hangers/etc.

Comment

Call Coastline Trailers in Seadrift. They should have the specs for your boat and would build the trailer from those spec's.

I've owned Sportsman, McClain, and many other manufacturers trailers and Coastline is the best that I know of with McClain a close second.

I hate working on trailers so I never replaced an axle, I just replaced the trailers

Comment

One other thing you need to do IF you keep that trailer... Put a longer tongue in it... too much hangin' off the back of that trailer frame. By the time you set that trailer up right, you'll spend probably as much as a good used one would cost... You might also check with local boat dealers for used trailers too. If you get a tandem axle or not, put oil bath bearings or Bearing Buddies on all spindles... I've never had but one oil bath trailer and was skeptical about it to start, but had it since 07 and haven't touched the hubs, plus you can simply glance down at the hub and see if it has oil and if the oil has water in it... I've grown to like 'em, I think...

Comment

Working...
                              X