Peacocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peacocks?

Our neighbor got some peacocks on his ranch to help with mice and snakes around the house. Has anyone heard of this before? Does it work?

Nope

Comment

I know they are the loudest animal EVER...

Comment

You will soon hate them.

Comment

Dad bought a few when I was younger for whatever reason. Was told that they eat small mammals and snakes. We unloaded them into the sheep pen and they immediately flew away. I remember my dad's face as his money flew away! "Hmm... guess they CAN fly."

Comment

Some lady introduced them to my neighborhood in Houston like 30 years ago and they have flourished. I only get 1-2 a week swinging through, but as you get closer to the bayou you can find dozens of them in yards.

Awful, awful birds.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
              Some lady introduced them to my neighborhood in Houston like 30 years ago and they have flourished. I only get 1-2 a week swinging through, but as you get closer to the bayou you can find dozens of them in yards.

Awful, awful birds.
              I was through there before Harvey and saw one fly and land on a roof top. Didn't know they could fly.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                Dad bought a few when I was younger for whatever reason. Was told that they eat small mammals and snakes. We unloaded them into the sheep pen and they immediately flew away. I remember my dad's face as his money flew away! "Hmm... guess they CAN fly."
                That is exactly what I needed this morning. Thanks for the laugh!

Comment

Not sure about peacocks but my brothers college roommate kept a couple of geese in there house yard at the ranch...swore they never had a snake inside the fence and if anyone got anywhere near their house you would know it!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                    I was through there before Harvey and saw one fly and land on a roof top. Didn't know they could fly.
                    If they couldn't, my dog would've killed about a dozen by now. It's a labored takeoff, but when motivated by a 70-lb heeler/lab mix bearing down on them, they can go when they need to. Straight up usually. They sleep way up in trees.

Comment

They're just a sissified, stuck-up looking turkey, that are loud all the time, not just in the spring.

cricman

Comment

On the plus side they taste amazing

Comment

Originally posted by duck'n View Post
                          Not sure about peacocks but my brothers college roommate kept a couple of geese in there house yard at the ranch...swore they never had a snake inside the fence and if anyone got anywhere near their house you would know it!
                          We had about a dozen ducks and a few geese... shortly. There wasn't a square inch of porch, patio furniture, etc that wasn't covered in crap.
                          Last edited by BlackHogDown; 03-13-2018, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Cats are much better than peacocks . I have never heard that they keep snakes and mice away, but I guess it's possiible. Some neighbors we had next to property my grandma owns used to have them, you would be deer hunting one morning and hear "HHHHEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWWWW" about every few minutes. It got old real quick

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                              We had about a dozen of ducks and a few geese... shortly. There wasn't a square inch of porch, patio furniture, etc that wasn't covered in crap.
                              That is some slippery crap too! Having personally been chased all over Town Lake one morning by a ****** off goose, I would stick one in my yard...he wouldn't last long!

Comment

Working...
                              X