No announcement yet.

Strange Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always heard that bobcat and mountain lion were good eatting. Any recipes for them?

Comment

Do a search for mountain lion recipes on the web. There are some on there. the one that I see most is mountain lion green chili.
      Last edited by switchback; 08-11-2008, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I have also seen someone post a link for crowbusters.com for recipes for crow. No joke.

Comment

Buy a Louisiana cajun cook book.

Comment

My dad used to bbq young coons on the pit. Slow and low heat keeping it constantly moist with sauce. Tasted great.

I have nothing else for you.

I ate balute (chicken embryos warmed up inside the shell), raw squid/stingray/shark, monkey meat, and sugared beetles when I was in the Marine Corps and overseas. I guess you could join the Marines if you really want to try some crazy stuff! =)

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              My dad used to bbq young coons on the pit. Slow and low heat keeping it constantly moist with sauce. Tasted great.

I have nothing else for you.

I ate balute (chicken embryos warmed up inside the shell), raw squid/stingray/shark, monkey meat, and sugared beetles when I was in the Marine Corps and overseas. I guess you could join the Marines if you really want to try some crazy stuff! =)
              I am to old and fat to join the marines. Besides I have absolutely 0% interest in being a Marine.

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
                Besides I have absolutely 0% interest in being a Marine.

Sorry to hear that.

Comment

Don't get me wrong I love the US Military but being a part of it is not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinhoney View Post
                    Rocky Mountain Oysters - Use any kind of "oysters" you wish to use

2 pounds calf testicles*
                    2 cups beer
                    2 eggs, beaten
                    1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
                    ¼ cup yellow cornmea1
                    Salt and ground black pepper to taste
                    Vegetable oil**
                    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

* Be sure to ask your butcher for calf testicles, not bull testicles. Calf testicles are the size of a walnut and are much more tender than the larger bull testicles.

** Use enough vegetable oil to fill your frying container halfway to the top (to allow for bubbling up and splattering) and to completely cover calf testicles while frying.

With a very sharp knife, split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each testicle. Remove the skin (you can remove the skin easily if the testicles are frozen, then peel while thawing). Slice each testicle into approximately 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick ovals. Place slices in a large pan or blow with enough beer to cover them; cover and let sit 2 hours.

In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Remove testicles from beer; drain and dredge thoroughly in the flour mixture. In a large, deep pot, heat oil to 375 degrees F. Deep fry 3 minutes or until golden brown (will rise to the surface when done). Drain on paper towels.

Serve warm with your favorite hot pepper sauce.

Why are these under "Strange"? We eat them alot up here, at least the ranchers do. Don't call em Rocky Mountain Oysters for nothing.

Comment

I knew a guy who always threatened to eat coyote. Luckily they dodged his bullets while he was hungry. Besides there was always too much beef and venison in the freezer to make us resort to eating yotes!

Rattlesnake is good on the grill spiced with cajun stuff, etc. Cook it like chicken and it turns out alright.

Comment

Crow, R.M. Oysters, Yak, Snake, Raccoon, Chicken liver....all are very good eats.
                        Now possum on the other hand...not sure if I could eat that un

Comment

Ok. So how do you cook crow. Most of us have eatten it. lol.

Comment

Once upon a time in my youth we had a bit too much pop to drink and tryed to roast some coots.. Couldn't eat them. dark, dank, tought and tasted like dirt.. Bologna sandwiches were much better..lol

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
                              Ok. So how do you cook crow. Most of us have eatten it. lol.
                              Crockpot the suckers in cream of mushroom soup all day. When tender, serve with some mashed taters. Good eatin'

Comment

Originally posted by Texpppr View Post
                                Once upon a time in my youth we had a bit too much pop to drink and tryed to roast some coots.. Couldn't eat them. dark, dank, tought and tasted like dirt.. Bologna sandwiches were much better..lol
                                Lol. Actually my DU magazine from about 6 - 8 years ago had an article that coot actually has a French gourmet name. A cajun friend of mine told me that they eat the coots gizzards and that it taste like chicken gizzards. I still aint tried it.

Comment

Working...
                                X