Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixed Broadhead Opinions (Another Broadhead Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish they still made the Nap Crossfire’s best fixed blade ever flew awesome and spun on the Feral And killed every animal that i sent it through !!! But I would try exodus out of all the ones you mentioned!!

Comment

If I am using a head with replaceable blades, I am a big fan of QAD exodus full blades. They always flew well for me, provided great blood trails, and are very tough.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
        I had one blade break after going in. It stuck in the opposite shoulder of a large hog for a week until I killed him the next weekend.

I have lost two blades in an animal because the screw was loose. That is the only downfall to those broad heads that I have found. It is rare, but sometimes you will have a screw loose straight out of the package. Now I always tighten them all before I put them on an arrow.
        I think they went to a reverse thread to combat the loose blades.

Thing is, I always check my equipment regularly and that includes screw on the bow, quiver, sight, release and broadheads. After 40+ years of doing this and loosing things or things coming loose, it just became habit after it happened a few times early in my bowhunting life.

Any broadhead mentioned on here is a great head and will kill animals, it just all depends on the Injun behind the bow, tune of the bow, great flight of the arrow and broadhead, sharpness of the broadhead and the shot placement of that arrow and broadhead. Nuff said!

Pick what you are comfortable and confident with as far as anything you use to bowhunt.

I look at it this way: If you are confident with you, your equipment and your ability to use that equipment, when an animal steps out, all you are asking for is a shot opportunity as you know you can make that shot! If you are not confident in you and your equipment, then if an animal steps out and you say, "I hope I can make that shot", then you are basically doomed to make a poor shot and a miss or wounded, lost animal or you get lucky and make a great shot.

Practice and get your confidence in your equipment you are going to use and use it to the best of your ability. This is what puts animals down, mounts on your wall and meat on your table!

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
          If you can't get a Slick Trick to fly, your bow has some serious tuning issues.
          Could be an arrow issue too. If the arrow is borderline too light of spine, there will be problems. Also, if the insert isn't square to the shaft the broadhead is gonna steer it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntin_Toona View Post
            Could be an arrow issue too. If the arrow is borderline too light of spine, there will be problems. Also, if the insert isn't square to the shaft the broadhead is gonna steer it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
            All this as said above are tuning issues.

Comment

Gonna have to try the ramcats out this year. Seems a lot of y’all have had success with them.

Comment

G5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  If you can't get a Slick Trick to fly, your bow has some serious tuning issues.
                  Like I said in my original post, I had my bow tuned to slick tricks, but after tuning my bow to them my field tips and mechanicals wouldn't fly true. I would tune my bow back in line with my field tips, but then the slick trucks wouldn't fly true.

Comment

Originally posted by jacoblopez View Post
                    Like I said in my original post, I had my bow tuned to slick tricks, but after tuning my bow to them my field tips and mechanicals wouldn't fly true. I would tune my bow back in line with my field tips, but then the slick trucks wouldn't fly true.
                    How are you tuning? Did you move your rest to get the field tips and broadheads flying the same and then move your sight to get back on zero?

Comment

I'm a Ramcat man myself but of those you mentioned I'd be inclined to shoot the tricks.

The bigger question is you say you love mechanical but want to add something more dependable....? QUE?

If you're having issues with your BH switch. It's the most crucial part of our equipment and many times the most overlooked or undervalued.

I shot rage for years and never had a deployment issue. Last year I shot a deer with the Grim Reaper WT special just to change things up. It worked as advertised. Planning to use it again this year along with the Ramcats.

Comment

Originally posted by jacoblopez View Post
                        You are not tuning your bow, you are just adjusting your sight for different heads. Search some threads by "Rat". He has written some phenomenal posts on here about tuning.

For me, walk-back tuning has been the easiest, and most efficient way to tune my bow ... but I very seldom take any shots over 30 yards. There are many other methods of tuning and everyone has their favorite. And don't assume that just because you had a shop set your bow up, that it's set up correctly.

Tuning is essentially getting your rest and string lined up perfectly. Once that is done, your arrow will leave straight. You don't see any issues when you're shooting field points, but when you screw on a broad head, the slight problems (of not leaving straight) are amplified. Once you get that arrow to leave the bow perfectly straight, as long as you don't change the weight of the tip, you can shoot whatever broadhead you want and have the same POI.

Comment

I've never had much luck with Slick Tricks for anything other than very short shots. They are loud, catch wind, and fly crazy.

I shoot Montec G5s and KuduPoints.

Comment

When I went on an Elk Hunt I had tested a bunch of the fixed heads and not only how they fly but can you re-sharpen them. I found the NAP Hell Razor was the only one I could really sharpen to shave hair after shooting it into dirt and or my foam target multiple times. You might wish to take a look at them.

The NAP Hellrazor is a one-piece, solid steel fixed blade broadhead that is shaving sharp and always gets the job done.

Ranchdog

Comment

Don't sleep on the Blood Therapy OCD Broadheads;

• A unique circular blade broadhead, designed for maximum penetration and minimal entry resistance • Curcular blade is designed to rotate upon contact with bone, leading to less resistance and a higher percentage of pass-throughs • 420J2 Teflon© coated stainless steel blades are constructed for unmatched durability and

They fly straight as my field points without the need to tune my arrows. As a first time compound bow hunter last season I managed to kill 3 whitetail and 1 axis. 3 of the 4 died within 20 yards, even on a couple less than ideal shot locations, and although the 4th ran 50-70 yards, I had a very nice blood trail.

Comment

I must be getting old, I have not tried any of these new heads, I don't think I have shot a fixed blade in 20 years. I still shoot the spitfire mechanicals and have killed everything from 300 pound hogs to elk with absolutely no problem, they hit where I aim and leave a massive blood trail. I would just stick with what you have confidence in and make a good shot placement. But bear in mind I shot my Q2 from the day they came out till last year when I bought the new Mathews so i don't make changes often.

Comment

Working...
                                X