Question about canting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about canting

Is canting a part of proper form, or is it all just personal preference like split vs 3 under? Last night I shot a dozen, half with and half without canting. The six I shot with about 30 degrees of cant grouped better and in the bullseye. I did so well that I backed up 5 yards beyong where I normally shoot and sunk another 4 into the bullseye.

I'm going to try again tonight to see if it really did improve my shooting or if last night was a fluke.

Fred Bear said it was okay....

Comment

I think it is just personal preferance. I've seen folks shoot both ways. I have also heard it explained that by canting the bow some it opens up the sighting picture in hunting situations.

Comment

Canting is proper form when shooting the Howard Hill style like Arvin and I do. I sent you a pm a while ago, did you get it?

Comment

Yep, we do shoot that way.

Comment

Not only does cantng open up the sight window and provides better form (IMHO), it also will not allow the arrow to fall off the rest before the shot.

Good shoot'in.

Doug Key

Comment

I have to cant. Keeps the upper limb from hitting the top of the ground blind and the bottom limb from slapping the ground. All this from sitting on a stool.
              Sometimes more cant than others. Depends on how drunk I am

Comment

Deb, sorry! I didn't even realize I had a pm. Thank you. I will try to make it out there.

Comment

Canting is just fine. The main thing though, is to cant the same every time. You have to develop a memory so that your body "remembers" where and how to hold the bow. As, muzzlebrake said above, there are situations that make you change your cant but you need experience to keep that from changing your shot.

Bisch

Comment

Txpitdog, you have another pm

Comment

In my case i started by immitating Howard Hill. As a young boy i saw Mr Hill putting on a shooting exibition for us little snods. He never missed as i recall. He sparked my interest in archery and the rest is history. (NO!,... I MISS OFTEN)

If you shoot with sights you have no other choice but to shoot straight up, where canting will lend itself better for hunting, specially when hunting out of confined areas, just as muzzlebrake suggests. Plus you sight picture along with your depth perception will increase considerably as other have stated.

GILBERT

Comment

If canting while tuning, do you read fletched vs bare shaft the same way? Put another way....if I shoot vertical and my bare shaft shows weak spine (hitting right) would the same shot canted hit right on the same horizontal plane or would it hit low right?

Comment

I could be wrong, but I read it the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Lafitte23 View Post
                            If canting while tuning, do you read fletched vs bare shaft the same way? Put another way....if I shoot vertical and my bare shaft shows weak spine (hitting right) would the same shot canted hit right on the same horizontal plane or would it hit low right?
                            same

Comment

Key to it from what little I know is to be consistant, and not necessarily just consistant with the angle of cant in relation to the ground, but the angle of cant in relation to your back, shoulders, & arms. First time I shot a round of 3ds with my recurve, I shot with a local shop owner - he really opened my eyes - we did a little drill shooting standing, then crouched, then kneeling, then on both knees as close to the ground as we could get. In the process he helped me correct form at each stance. Really cool exercise - the cant in relation to the ground changed at each position for clearance, but if doing it right, the angles in relation to your body stayed the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X