No announcement yet.

Rice bran v. Protein as attractant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love those rice bran feeders, anything more on the smaller more economical model?

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
    Oh ok..Got it!

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
      Love those rice bran feeders, anything more on the smaller more economical model?
      Several plans...just have to find time to build and test. I recently started a new real job and have been covered up the last 4 weeks.

Serious question since there is no other. What would be a preferred size?

I built the original for me as I'm 5 hours from the ranch and I wanted at least 1 month per feeding @ 10 lbs per day.

Comment

Gordy
        Attached Files

Comment

Personally, something that could attach to a drum I think would sell very well.

Several plans...just have to find time to build and test. I recently started a new real job and have been covered up the last 4 weeks.

Serious question since there is no other. What would be a preferred size?

I built the original for me as I'm 5 hours from the ranch and I wanted at least 1 month per feeding @ 10 lbs per day.

Comment

And reduce cost tremendously because everyone can find a metal drum for cheap

Comment

Never have used rice bran, but we started free choice protein 3 years ago and have seen a substantial uptick in numbers and quality. Amazing what that stuff will do to the health of your herd if you also support it with plenty of water. Takes a few years but definitely worth it.

Comment

You can build your own using a timed “hammer unit”. Not much to it really.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
                  ^^^this^^^
                  Something where you could cut out the bottom of a barrel or other large hopper and attach a reducred cone-shaped apparatus to said hopper. Then said apparatus has an “auger” type mechanism that agitates the RB allowing it to fall.
                  That’s what I envision at least.......I just ain’t near smart enough to do it

Comment

Quoting several so as to save time.

Agreed...however I've built one out of a 55 Gallon drum..it doesn't work well.

I considered making a feeding system for a barrel but, not everyone has access to the tools or has the ability to cut the bottom off a barrel and put this together.

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
                    These feeders are very specific and labor intensive to make. Once you add up all the labor and material for a feeder this size you will realize I'm not getting rich. The first 2 proto types cost me $980.00 just for the hopper - and that was a "buddy" deal.

They are currently to big to run in a break so each side has to be cut out CNC and each seam welded.

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
                    You can build your own using a timed “hammer unit”. Not much to it really.
                    LOL! Good luck with that. I've built 10
                    different feeders and only one design really works well. Of the one design that works i have several I use and they have been running flawlessly for 3 yrs. I dont want a feeder that "sorta works"

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                    ^^^this^^^
                    Something where you could cut out the bottom of a barrel or other large hopper and attach a reducred cone-shaped apparatus to said hopper. Then said apparatus has an “auger” type mechanism that agitates the RB allowing it to fall.
                    That’s what I envision at least.......I just ain’t near smart enough to do it
                    See above..not everyone has the ability to cut a barrel..and or the ability to put one together. My name is on this. If someone leaves one pin hole for water to get in..then it becomes a black eye for me.

Any type of cylinder, cone, ruducer does not work. Rice Bran as you know is a powder. Powder feeds will pack and bridge causing it not to fall.

I built an Auger style and it worked awesome for 3-4 feedings until the powder packed which then stops the Auger with any affordable motor.

Comment

Bruce how much are these?

Comment

Quoting several so as to save time.

Agreed...however I've built one out of a 55 Gallon drum..it doesn't work well.

I considered making a feeding system for a barrel but, not everyone has access to the tools or has the ability to cut the bottom off a barrel and put this together.

These feeders are very specific and labor intensive to make. Once you add up all the labor and material for a feeder this size you will realize I'm not getting rich. The first 2 proto types cost me $980.00 just for the hopper - and that was a "buddy" deal.

They are currently to big to run in a break so each side has to be cut out CNC and each seam welded.

LOL! Good luck with that. I've built 10
                        different feeders and only one design really works well. Of the one design that works i have several I use and they have been running flawlessly for 3 yrs. I dont want a feeder that "sorta works"

See above..not everyone has the ability to cut a barrel..and or the ability to put one together. My name is on this. If someone leaves one pin hole for water to get in..then it becomes a black eye for me.

Any type of cylinder, cone, ruducer does not work. Rice Bran as you know is a powder. Powder feeds will pack and bridge causing it not to fall.

I built an Auger style and it worked awesome for 3-4 feedings until the powder packed which then stops the Auger with any affordable motor.

I am actually working on this now, but affordable timed protein is first. But the rice bran will work. Be happy to collaborate when I am completed with testing and such. But my affordable timed protein feeder is first.

Comment

Piece of advice...if you're trying rice bran in a new area that you are already feeding corn, one put it out in piles and two put a decent amount of corn on top of it. What I've noticed is that the tremendously strong sweet smell of rice bran makes the deer nervous at first but then once they notice the corn in there and nibble on it then they are hooked...corn is like the gateway drug to rice bran in my trial areas.

Comment

Originally posted by knighttime View Post
                            Piece of advice...if you're trying rice bran in a new area that you are already feeding corn, one put it out in piles and two put a decent amount of corn on top of it. What I've noticed is that the tremendously strong sweet smell of rice bran makes the deer nervous at first but then once they notice the corn in there and nibble on it then they are hooked...corn is like the gateway drug to rice bran in my trial areas.
                            I agree! I wish I could find a rice bran feeder that wouldnt break the bank

Comment

Not to take anything away from the Fortress Feeder method, but you can use Rice Bran pellets and the deer do eat it as well as the Rice Bran meal. I currently have a "Hammer Unit" on a Boss Buck feeder feeding Rice Bran pellets, and the deer tear it up. The more slope and slicker the feeder material the better the flow. The boss buck set up works flawlessly with "The Hammer Unit" and Rice Bran pellets. I get Rice Bran Pellets from Del Rio Feed, or Hoffpauir Feed in Lampasas for $8.50 to $8.75 per 50lb bag. Some people will argue that the deer prefer Meal over Pellets, but I have watched deer in my area eating the meal I have in a bucket in my feed pen, and as soon as the Timer opens on the pellets they will leave the meal and walk over and start eating the pellets. I have also used a 55 Gallon drum with a steep funnel and it also works well with the Pellets and "Hammer Unit". Just another option if you want to feed a Rice Bran Pellet, instead of Meal, on a "timed and amount method".

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                                Bruce how much are these?
                                Hi Brandon the feeder is $800.00

Comment

Working...
                                X