Zip System sheathing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zip System sheathing question

I've installed and taped a wall with zip system sheathing. There are no indications to tape the bottom edge of the panels.

It's going to be exposed for a month or so before siding goes up, should I tape the bottom edge?

That’s a great question, haven’t thought about that one.

I would tape the bottom if it’s in the slab or plate to keep water from being wicked up into the board if rains and is sitting in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

No. IF water happens to get behind the board, it needs a place to escape.

Comment

Huber's installation guide does not show tape @ the bottom of the panel.

Comment

I'm going to be different and recommend sealing the framing to the foundation. We use the zip system for sheathing all of our homes (high end fully custom) but we go with a product like poly wall 2200 to seal this area, not the zip tape. Huber Zip did just introduced a liquid flash product that I imagine is very similar to the Polywall product and they claim it bonds to concrete as well so this could be an option but we have not used this product yet.

Comment

Great info, appreciate the recommendations. The framing stud and foundation lip are flush on my house. I added a 6" strip of overlapping weather barrier extending 1.5" past the framing/foundation line so water can't splash back and wick up to the wood framing. I then sheathed the wall over that.

The sheathing will be exposed to the elements for a while and my main concern is rain water will swell the bottom edge/seam of the zip panels. the panel faces are green, the sides are exposed OSB (I presume they are treated with waterproof resins and shouldn't swell).

I think I'll use a cheaper flashing tape to create a skirt 'drip edge' to cover the edge until I can get the siding up. I'll be sure not to wrap it around the bottom so water can't get trapped.

Comment

If you have a concern about the edges...good o' paint will work for a short period...choose any color.

Comment

Im not sure what you are building but from a building science perspective you want to do the best you can by sealing the sheathing to the slab to prevent water and air penetration. Matt Risinger has some videos on his youtube about using zip and his builder friend does liquid flash along the bottom of the sheathing sealing it to the slab. If you don't do that, its recommended to use a peel and stick flashing to do this. You want your building as air tight as possible.

The base plate to foundation is one of the larger leaky places in a house. A good sill sealer and what I mentioned above is key. If it is not too late, skip the cheap pink foam sill sealer and buy a quality one like the one from Conservation Technology. Its much more expensive per foot but only adds $200 to the job (well $200 to my 1800' building Im building)

Comment

No reason to seal the bottom edge. We build a Habitat house every year by working on it every other weekend so they stay exposed longer. We use Zip and Hardie siding. I have not seen the Zip show any sign damage from being exposed on the edges.

Comment

NO

Comment

Working...
                    X