Oil Pan Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pan Leak

My girlfriend was driving down a dirt road and hit a pot holes in her little car to where her oil pan cracked of some sort and leaked out ALL of the oil. I am out of town and told her not to drive the car with a baby in it. What do you recommend I have somebody due being cost efficient..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can see the crack maybe try some jb weld to get it where it will hold oil good enough to get it home to be worked on.

Did she stop it before the engine seized up or was she able to catch it quick enough? Definetely don't want to be driving it or it will go from a relatively cheap fix to an expensive one real quick.
    Last edited by westtexducks; 07-20-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
      If you can see the crack maybe try some jb weld to get it where it will hold oil good enough to get it home to be worked on.

Did she stop it before the engine seized up or was she able to catch it quick enough? Definetely don't want to be driving it or it will go from a relatively cheap fix to an expensive one real quick.

Hit the pothole and woke up the next day and there was a trail of oil behind her car from where she drove last night. She is already at home so I am considering sanding the cracked area if it isn’t too bad. Then applying JB Weld or some type of metal epoxy to see if it will hold oil long enough to get it fixed correctly. I don’t think I can fix it myself from home..

Comment

I'd try a junkyard before I'd try the fix-it-myself.

Comment

An oil pan is pretty cheap and easy to change. But JB weld has worked for me in the past.

Comment

make-model-year

as long as there is no cross brace under the pan it is very easy to do

Comment

Originally posted by yaqui View Post
              An oil pan is pretty cheap and easy to change. But JB weld has worked for me in the past.
              Even if I was going to use jb weld, I would still remove and clean it thoroughly inside and out before patching.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                make-model-year

This ^^^^^

You run the oil out or even to low and you will wish you paid a mechanic to fix the oil pan if you can't do it yourself

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                  make-model-year

2015 Mercedes Benz CLA 250

Comment

That car may have an aluminum oil pan. You maybe able to spot fix it w jb weld, but if the hole is large enough you ll have to replace the pan. Ebay will be your friend on this one for a pan. I did the same thing as a kid growing up. Cracked the pan on a brand new Volkswagen gti.

Comment

Mercedes parts....known for being inexpensive.

I've used a nut, bolt, 2 big wide washers, and two pieces of gasket/bicycle tube to patch a nickel sized hole in the past.

Comment

I think people with Mercedes money call for a tow to the dealer. After the dealer is finished, they just write the check.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                          Hit the pothole and woke up the next day and there was a trail of oil behind her car from where she drove last night. She is already at home so I am considering sanding the cracked area if it isn’t too bad. Then applying JB Weld or some type of metal epoxy to see if it will hold oil long enough to get it fixed correctly. I don’t think I can fix it myself from home..

Well that changes my answer then. An oil pan change isn't real hard to do, a handful of tools, and some ramps to get the front end of the ground and your in business. Not a real time consuming process either, can change in place. You could still technically probably get away with jb weld, but that was just my quick solution to get it home for a proper fix which is a new pan. But the real solution is get the road fixed if it is in your driveway to keep her from doing it again.

Comment

I would not concider it a easy job, but I would definitely fix it right.
                            Sometimes easy isn’t better..
                            Especially if it’s a 2015 Mercedes

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              Mercedes parts....known for being inexpensive.

I've used a nut, bolt, 2 big wide washers, and two pieces of gasket/bicycle tube to patch a nickel sized hole in the past.
                              Mogyver.

Comment

Working...
                              X