No announcement yet.

Ar or mini 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mini shouldn’t even be in the same sentence as an AR for all around quality and reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
      The mini shouldn’t even be in the same sentence as an AR for all around quality and reliability.

Agree. Nor should a .300 in a 16+ inch gun

Comment

If it is mainly for pigs.....unless you have a suppressor you are going to run on it.....I would go .458 Socom or .450 Bushmaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
          If it is mainly for pigs.....unless you have a suppressor you are going to run on it.....I would go .458 Socom or .450 Bushmaster.
          Why not 308?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
            Why not 308?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
            Ar-15 platform rather than Ar-10 platform.

Comment

No experience with the mini 30, but had a mini 14 that I could not get good groups with. Sold it and went with an AR that is a tack driver. And tough as nails.

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
                Agree. Nor should a .300 in a 16+ inch gun
                I agree the .300BO is best suited for shorter barrels. But, supersonic ammo is really close to a 7.62x39 round. It’s also the most widely available ammo that’s not 5.56. The only thing different on a blackout is the barrel, so reliability or accuracy shouldn’t be a concern. I think a 16 inch blackout running supers would make an excellent ranch gun, if you wanted the shoot a larger bullet. But the good ole 5.56 would definitely be my first choice, it’s cheap and packs plenty of punch.

Comment

Why not just get a conventional bolt action rifle if it’s for pig shooting ? 7mm , .300 or .270 short mag, maybe a 30.06, .308 etc.

I really like a Creedmor 6.5 for long distance. Granted not the pop some of the others have. Equates to a .260 caliber, not half bad for take down and flat shooting.

Personally I’d get a SKS or an AK47 commie gun before a mini Ruger. I’m personally turned off on them being my hunting pal had to send his back because it was shooting like a spray gun. Apparently the barrel had to be re-floated. His uses the commie round 7.62x39, which is a great round and cheap cost. I have an AR-10 in .308 and 2 AR’s in 5.56. AR’s are great, the 10’s do have a history of ejection issues. They are very functional and a 5.56 to the bottom of the ear will lay any sized pig down hitting its head to the ground before it’s knees bend. Lol [emoji23]

Comment

I agree AR, but no love for the 6.8 ? It has killed every well-hit hog I've ever shot up to 250/275 pounders, and some not so well hit that were running. Some killed out to 200 yards, and as close as 30 yards, all with Federal Fusion 115 grain. I have two ARs in 6.8 SPC, one for day and one for night. I also have a .450 Bushmaster, but it stays in the safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
                      IMO an AR in 7.62x39 with a stainless barrel is the way to go. Cheap ammo and plenty of power for the hogs.

And like stated above. Easy to care for. Wipe off and go.

X2 on the AR in 7.62x39 just do your research and built it right and get the C-products mags.

Comment

Wow, thanks folks. Plenty of info. Adios Ruger. Would a stock anderson be a ok first ar?

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                          Wow, thanks folks. Plenty of info. Adios Ruger. Would a stock anderson be a ok first ar?
                          Or build it.

Bughole guns will be pricier than throw in truck 2-4 MOA guns.

Comment

X2 on the 6.8 SPC it works and ammo is easier to find than 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

AR all day. The 7.62x39 is a pig thumper. Wolf makes a 154 gr soft point steel case round that is a pig hammer. Runs about 10 bucks for 40 rounds. C-products mags are the stuff for this round. I like the 10 rounders, they don't hang down so far and catch on everything like the 30's do. I run my thermal on an AR in this caliber, and yes, the barrel is stainless. No rust, muss, or fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                                Should be .... What they going for?

Comment

Working...
                                X