Making Progress: getting work done in Coleman county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Progress: getting work done in Coleman county

With inspiration and permission from Unclefish, I am going to document the work and play at our property in Coleman county.

I hope that this will be useful and informative as I see what works for me and what doesn't, and also as i learn more and more about management.

I have been working and hunting on this property for the past 6 years and we had the opportunity to purchase it this year.

We went down yesterday to try to shoot a few hogs, and ended up getting rained on, but only totaling about 1/10 inch.

These two youngsters came in last night, nice potential! Three doe also snuck in before dark. I had 2 other people in different stands and the deer count last night was 17 with 5 bucks.
    Attached Files

We woke up early this morning to get feeders filled before church, but were delayed by 6 doe eating at the feeder in the yard.

As we rounded the corner to this feeder 4 hogs busted out but, not thinking, I left my rifle at the silo. No worries... their time will come soon!
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice. Looking forward to watching the progress of the property. Keep us posted.

Comment

My wheat and oat plot is looking a lot better after last weeks drizzle. The first picture is the 10 acre plot.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362938036364.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	24178844 The second picture is of my 2 acre buck forage oat plot that is getting grazed pretty heavily. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362938082377.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	24178845

The protein feeder isn't getting hit as hard as I anticipated, but I am switching to red chain 17% next week. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362938156212.jpg
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	24178846

The lake is low but still holding water. There were 3 gadwall on it this morning. Ill probably build a duck blind next month on it. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362938242789.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	24178847

This tank is very low. We need more rain bad!Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1362938276335.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	24178848

Im going to be back out this coming week to bring out protein and plant about an acre of milo, so ill update again then.

Comment

looking real nice

Comment

Following

Comment

Looks very good

Comment

Following

Comment

You certainly didn't need my permission to start a thread like this...lol! I look forward to following along with you Sippy and learn from what you are doing. That's what this forum is all about.

Tell us more about your place. How many acres? What kinds of bucks have been taken so far?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                    You certainly didn't need my permission to start a thread like this...lol! I look forward to following along with you Sippy and learn from what you are doing. That's what this forum is all about.

Tell us more about your place. How many acres? What kinds of bucks have been taken so far?
                    I didnt want to steal your thunder!

250 acres on the Coleman/Brown line. For the past 7 years 2 bucks have been taken every year, but the high populations have been able to support that.

Avg. 4.5 yr old is in the 130-140 range. 3 over 150 have been killed since 2008. There are great genetics in the area.

They also didn't run trail cameras, so there is no telling what they weren't seeing that was coming in throughout the night.

My biggest management concern right now is the predator population. I killed 2 coyotes back to back a few weeks ago and have seen 3 since. Fawn mortality was pretty high last year, but im trying to give them a better chance this year. Nest predators are also being trapped at the moment, but the turkey populations are still relatively high.

Comment

Here is a better look at the larger of the bucks. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363012186597.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	24179199

Im excited to see what he turns into.

Comment

Great thread to start. I'll be keeping up.
                        I am making similar management efforts on my place in Nolan County.
                        My foundation principels: Provide water, supplement feed, improve habitat, predator control, population control, and have fun.
                        Good luck.

Comment

very nice sippy, i love these kind of threads and hope to start one on my little place soon, maybe i will take some pics today when i go check cams and feeders.

good luck with your projects buddy, looking forward to following along!

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                            very nice sippy, i love these kind of threads and hope to start one on my little place soon, maybe i will take some pics today when i go check cams and feeders.

good luck with your projects buddy, looking forward to following along!
                            Do it!

Comment

sir yes sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X