Bitcoin...Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    What debit card do you use that allows you to spend BTC?
    there are several, but i use "shift". download the app and it links to your coinbase and they send you a card.

you can wait to use it on good days when the market is up really well and its like getting a nice discount on anything you buy.

Comment

$9989 and counting...C'mon 10K!!!

On a serious note, I'd like to see a fork or more stability out of BTC but I don't think that's coming any time soon either. Again, maybe the opening it up to trade will even things out. Right now it's just cray-cray....

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
        there are several, but i use "shift". download the app and it links to your coinbase and they send you a card.

you can wait to use it on good days when the market is up really well and its like getting a nice discount on anything you buy.
        My brother told me about that one today. Are there any fees associated with using it? Is it only for using BTC or can i use it anywhere USD is accepted?

Comment

My brother told me about that one today. Are there any fees associated with using it? Is it only for using BTC or can i use it anywhere USD is accepted?

It sells your btc for the usd amount when you use it . It is accepted anywhere visa is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

fees are listed here. basically $10 for the card and free to spend. atm fee if you need to withdraw.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
              fees are listed here. basically $10 for the card and free to spend. atm fee if you need to withdraw.

https://www.shiftpayments.com/card
              Just ordered mine...thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                But people said that when Bitcoin first ran up to $350. Then when it ran to $1,000 more people said the same..and on and on and on.

But now that nearly everyone who can/could/would buy already made their decision how much higher can it go? They need to make it even easier for common non investor street folk to buy partial coins to keep it moving IMO
                Well, I COULD be wrong. I was once.

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                Just trying to make sense of this post and pulling out bits and pieces.

The US abandoned the gold standard in 1971. There isn't a single major country in the world using the gold standard anymore and hasn't been for quite some time but the recent run up in bitcoin is due to that? Not likely.

So fiat currency is only worth the paper its printed on but with bitcoin its not even worth a sheet a paper. So buy bitcoin?

The price of gold is being manipulated. What does that have to do with bitcoin? If you want to return to the gold standard and leave a fiat currency then gold manipulation is the very basis on what the gold standard operates on.

You don't think there are ways to manipulate a cryptocurrency? Or create more? You can mine for bitcoins and create more.

As more people buy bitcoin its price increases. Same for any other asset.

This post probably represents 99.9% of bitcoin investors. They don't know what it is, why it exists, or the economics behind it however they buy it because its the latest "investment craze" just like Iraqi Dinars, emus, and Florida condos.
                Yep. Agree.

Comment

If your cab driver gives you stock tips, sell.

Comment

Somebody in my office just represented a home buyer who bought $100 worth of bitcoin many moons ago when they were around 3 pennies each. Not even 40 and could retire for a few lifetimes; sure would be nice!

Comment

Do y'all just have yalls debit card on the app or do y'all actually use your bank account? I'm a little hesitant to put my bank account on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                        Somebody in my office just represented a home buyer who bought $100 worth of bitcoin many moons ago when they were around 3 pennies each. Not even 40 and could retire for a few lifetimes; sure would be nice!
                        I am sick daily over the missed opportunity. I wanted 5k worth when it was $15 a share and my wife talked me out of it. I could be wealthy with ranches today.

I started buying litecoin 2 months ago so maybe someday...

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                          I'm with the "how could nothing be worth something crowd".

There's a guy here at work that "mines" crypto currency.
                          He's got a building, in his back yard, full of computers, and fans, and AC units that run 24 hours a day. When they break some kind of algorithm, he gains a "coin" in his "wallet".
                          He said his electric bill, to operate that "mine" is about $1,600 a month, and he "mines" about $1,400 of coins a month.
                          His plan is to build a bigger "mine", so he will actually make money off of it. He's already got two partners, that have invested money and a third is in line.

He said it doesn't take much to start a "mine", but it takes a pretty big "mine" to actually make money. To me, it seems like if anyone can set this up, and generate "money" from nothing, it really can't be worth anything ... just like printing counterfeit bills.

Burnadell's emu/ostrich/chinchilla analogy is spot on, I think.
                          It's not money from nothing... he's collecting fees on transactions he provides peer verification for via his computing power... AND the value of the Bitcoin he's mining is going up with the price, so it's not a fixed number per month.
                          I bought at $575, which wasn't a particularly good time at the time, and still having to convince myself not to sell. Almost did a few months back at $6k.
                          Here's my prediction: we will see $25k BTC in 2018.
                          I'll be lucky if I haven't sold by then.
                          Last edited by meltingfeather; 11-28-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I do not even have a basic knowledge of bitcoin or the other variants. But this puts some of the talk into perspective: The electricity used to mine bitcoin this year is bigger than the annual usage of 159 countries

From the article: "Bitcoin transactions now use so much energy that the electricity used for a single trade could power a home for almost a whole month."

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              It's not money from nothing... he's collecting fees on transactions he provides peer verification for via his computing power.
                              Huh?

Comment

"Mining"? Sounds more like a Monopoly money video game version of a pyramid scheme to me. I'm happy for folks who've made tons of money in it. I hope they sell high. But everything about it sounds like a huge bubble based on literally nothing that will eventually burst.

I wish I would have bought $1,000 worth 5 years ago though.

Comment

Working...
                                X