• Show
Clear All

Shooo-weee that's fancy!

Comment

In for LDPs

Comment

Sharp piece. Interested in the cal/gauge

Comment

I have handled quite a few of them, never owned one. Krieghoff still makes them.

Comment

One of the guys that we leased from had one and hunted with it a few years back when he came down from Indiana. It was pretty beat up though.

Comment

To continue the legacy, it would be neat to use it in Texas in the manner it was built for. Take it out for a morning deer hunt as a rifle, then go out in the afternoon for a dove or duck hunt.

Comment

I have a hammer gun 16ga/9.3 x 74 that is still serviceable but not as new looking as yours. With low brass shot shells I have hunted birds a little. It is fun to shoot a hammer gun.

Comment

I've always dreamed of owning one, or several .

Comment

Curious, how would one shoot birds/rabbits with a scope on it? Or maybe your grandfather had it set up as a large-game-only gun (i.e., shoot buckshot or slugs out of the shotgun barrels)? Very cool either way - I've seen combo .410 shotgun / .22 rifle before but this is something special.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetDown View Post
                      Curious, how would one shoot birds/rabbits with a scope on it? Or maybe your grandfather had it set up as a large-game-only gun (i.e., shoot buckshot or slugs out of the shotgun barrels)? Very cool either way - I've seen combo .410 shotgun / .22 rifle before but this is something special.
                      If I'm not mistaken, drillings with scopes usually had low powered scopes and quick detach mounts so you can quickly take the scope off/on and it would still hold its zero.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
                        Looks like a very high quality piece. Drillings are, or were, very popular in Germany many years ago. It's amazing your Opa's survived WW-II and the post-war period - U.S. occupational forces (Army) wanted to confiscate my father-in-law's Diana air rifle (.177 caliber), and he had to break the stock over a curb to render it undesirable to them (he later repaired the stock with medical tape and kept it that way until his death). In the early days of WW-II, they packed drillings in the survival kits of Luftwaffe aircraft, and they were prized targets of scavengers. Just curious, but what gauge are the shotgun barrels, and what caliber is the rifle barrel? Also, what is the power of the scope, and what kind of reticle does it have - I would imagine either a German #1 or #4, but was just wondering.

Congratulations on your inheritance, and my condolences on the loss of your grandfather.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave. I think he purchased the Drilling after the war but I'm not 100% certain. He took all of his guns and wrapped them in grease and buried them during the early days of the war, before he was sent to the Russian front. They remained buried until it was safe for him to pull them out. It was a couple years after the war before he was sure the US forces wouldn't confiscate them. He kept one buried shallow that he used for hunting to provide meat for the family. Luckily he ran a paper mill before and after the war and he was able to work with the US Army; and that got him some dispensations.

It's a 16ga with a 7x57R and I think it's a 1.5-6x Hensoldt scope with a #1 reticle. It's very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would definitely get some insurance on that thing before bringing it back.

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                            To continue the legacy, it would be neat to use it in Texas in the manner it was built for. Take it out for a morning deer hunt as a rifle, then go out in the afternoon for a dove or duck hunt.

Might just do something like that. Great idea! If it wasn't so hard to take guns back and forth to Germany, I'd take it over for a treibjagd one day. But it's just easier to borrow guns from family.

Originally posted by FeetDown View Post

It's very hard to shoot a flying bird with it but on a treibjagd the primary goal isn't birds. The shot shell is mostly for hare and fox; or maybe a pheasant on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh my. I want it. A lot. Haha

Comment

I have seen a few. You have a very nice piece. Your opa had a good eye.

Comment

Working...
                                X