Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving up on Finding a Trophy Texas Lease. Whats on your trophy list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My trophy list still consists of WT and MD only. Nothing else. I have almost 50 WT and MD shoulder, pedestal or lifesize mounts. Will add as many more as I can in years to come. I have taken a couple of axis bucks and went to NZ to take a couple of Red Stag but that is it.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
      Cant find one that makes sense to me. Hard to find a place that doesnt want +$3k plus feed that is within 4 hours of DFW that has deer over 140".

Just gonna give it up for now and allocate those funds to other hunts for the time being.
      I hunted 10 days in Alaska and 10 days in Colorado this August/September for less than the initial 3k of a lease. 20 days of hunting is about all I'd get if I had a lease. I'll probably never get on a Texas lease after I've found out how cheap I can hunt big game in other states.

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
        I hunted 10 days in Alaska and 10 days in Colorado this August/September for less than the initial 3k of a lease. 20 days of hunting is about all I'd get if I had a lease. I'll probably never get on a Texas lease after I've found out how cheap I can hunt big game in other states.

Got any pics of what you killed?

Comment

Cant find one that makes sense to me. Hard to find a place that doesnt want +$3k plus feed that is within 4 hours of DFW that has deer over 140".

Just gonna give it up for now and allocate those funds to other hunts for the time being.
          Spend your 3k and go to Kentucky every year with an outfitter for an archery rut hunt. OTC tags and license and tags aren’t very expensive either.

Then come back and shoot pigs and ducks!

Comment

3K don’t go far on a Trophy deer Lease ... most South Texas Trophy leases are between 6-7 K

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Got any pics of what you killed?
              Struck out in Alaska and shot a cow I didn't recover in Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                Africa
                For 3K ??

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  I've been doing the same thing for a long time.
                  Once I was able to afford to get on a decent lease, I realized that I didn't have nowhere near the time to dedicate to it, to make it worth while.

I do day hunts, mostly, with the occasional out of state trip. In the end, I probably come out ahead, and I have more on my walls than just whitetail.
                  Don't forget about the mooching you do on my place!!!!

Comment

I can hook you up with a hunt

Comment

It was really a blessing when I let mine go. I don't have time with kids my age to travel enough to justify 1/2 the expense. They are a blast.... but I now have 3x more fun traveling out of state and shooting bigger deer for 1/10th the money.... and no "work weekends"

And if you just want to shoot a big one... there are tons of great outfitters that can accommodate anything you want and when you put a pencil to it (other than just dumb luck) you still come out way ahead.

Comment

I don't have a lease and don't regret it all. The money I was spending on leases is now spent on other hunting trips.

Last year was South Africa, Argentina and ended up shooting a 181 and 201" whitetail. Granted some of these trips was a little more.

Comment

I did the same thing a few years back. I've since knocked mule deer, blackbuck, oryx, fallow, and pronghorn off my list. I think I'm about to get on a good lease that makes sense where it's at and the location for me and my family. I'll be chasing elk in 2 weeks. Aoudad is on the list after that. Nothing else besides those 2 on my list that I can afford anytime soon. I need to kill a big free range whitetail. Hoping the lease produces that but looking for a well managed laid back place more than anything. It's time lol

Comment

I think a True Texas campfire after the hunt takes the cake over everything and will be the reason I stay on a lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in the same mindset right now. Really wanting to do an elk hunt soon, caribou, moose, oryx and axis are all on my list. I've thought about Aoudad out in the Mountains in West Texas as well, but seems like those hunts are going way up.

I've leased several places in South Texas, but currently only hunt our place. Between lease fees or maintenance on our personal ranch + feed, feeder, blinds etc package hunts actually seem reasonable. The ONLY thing that has me reluctant about going that route is spending the same money for a 3-5 day hunt and not being successful or end up unsatisfied with the hunt itself.

Some of you guys saying it's cheaper to hunt out of state with better quality, feel free to post up recommended outfitters. It's always reassuring to get recommendations from satisfied hunters.

Comment

Giving up on Finding a Trophy Texas Lease. Whats on your trophy list?

Started hinting out of state the last 2 years. First was mule deer, then a pronghorn. Dropped the lease this year and leave Tuesday for elk, have a bear hunt in Alberta in May, and Africa next summer. Thinking about doing a DIY archery mule deer in AZ next year as well.

2019 will likely do an archery mule deer hunt in Alberta with the outfitter we're using for the bear.

Comment

Working...
                                X