Guess his age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
    Yeah, but this is not during the rut either. Deer in that area are not going to look all buffed up this time of the year.
    It actually looks closer to 3.5 taking a better look at it. This is what I use for aging (Take a look @ 3.5 yr):
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bigyummy77 View Post
      It actually looks closer to 3.5 taking a better look at it. This is what I use for aging (Take a look @ 3.5 yr):
      That's a good reference, but those characteristics are difficult to correlate in bucks at this time of year. Without history on a particular buck, the best time to really get the best age idea using those traits is just before the rut when they're in peak shape.

I haven't weighed in a guess on this buck yet, because without a history it's just too difficult to tell. His tarsals aren't stained a great deal, but I think it's possible that could be due to post-maturity (as others have said). His head does look blocky, forehead dished out, and his pedicles are fairly robust. The muscle atrophy across his back between his shoulders reminds of something I normally see in more mature bucks at this time of year. I lean toward him being mature/post-mature, but may be totally off.

Comment

The problem with that is that it doesnt have any 8,9,and 10 year old east tx deer.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
          Both of these new deer will turn 2yrs old in May. All pictures are from the last two days. The deer in question I will let you know his age at the end of the day. Interesting with the great diversity.
          You know your herd obviously, so can't refute that. However, if I saw those two where I hunt, my hunch would be that the first one was 2yo this year, and the other was 1yo (yearling). The first buck has far more staining than than most 1yos, his body has more muscle, and his neck is more well-muscled and beginning to transition into his chest/shoulders. The second one looks like a classic yearling - like a doe with antlers. Interesting.

Comment

Guess his age?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapa

Comment

2.5 to3.5

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

Lol
                Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                The problem with that is that it doesnt have any 8,9,and 10 year old east tx deer.
                Very good point, I thought about that right after I sent the pic.
                Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
                That's a good reference, but those characteristics are difficult to correlate in bucks at this time of year. Without history on a particular buck, the best time to really get the best age idea using those traits is just before the rut when they're in peak shape.

I haven't weighed in a guess on this buck yet, because without a history it's just too difficult to tell. His tarsals aren't stained a great deal, but I think it's possible that could be due to post-maturity (as others have said). His head does look blocky, forehead dished out, and his pedicles are fairly robust. The muscle atrophy across his back between his shoulders reminds of something I normally see in more mature bucks at this time of year. I lean toward him being mature/post-mature, but may be totally off.
                Very good points!

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
                  You know your herd obviously, so can't refute that. However, if I saw those two where I hunt, my hunch would be that the first one was 2yo this year, and the other was 1yo (yearling). The first buck has far more staining than than most 1yos, his body has more muscle, and his neck is more well-muscled and beginning to transition into his chest/shoulders. The second one looks like a classic yearling - like a doe with antlers. Interesting.
                  Well you are right about the 2 being different size. The one with half a rack is a deer I call meanie. He is a stud for his age. The other is just a runt. He was a twin. He's brother was a 4pt and he was a small spike.
                  Meanie was a 7pt this year and be 2yrs old in may.

Comment

Well you are right about the 2 being different size. The one with half a rack is a deer I call meanie. He is a stud for his age. The other is just a runt. He was a twin. He's brother was a 4pt and he was a small spike.
                    See how important history is? heheheh

Comment

He could be 3, I'm no expert. For me, this time of year when bucks are dropping sheds, its hard to tell much difference between 3 and 5 year olds. They seem to loose a lot of weight and look draw up in the flank similar to what you look for in a 3 year old. This deer still has a decent size neck but it also looks like the skin is loose. He also has a more bulky head. This makes me believe that deer looked totally different right before rut. Also, there appears to be a lot of muscle in the brisket area. I noticed this also in pics of the older deer I have on camera right now. It will be interesting to hear the op's answer.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, and it helps prove the point in my other post about the absence of history with a buck can make proper aging very challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

Nailed it! Bucky will be 4yrs old in May.
                            This is a picture of his antlers at 2.5 and 3.5. Thanks for playing it was fun and educational.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thats just neat. Aging other folks deer is not an exact science..

Comment

I'm an idiot! Love these threads.

Next time please post pic with horns, that plays a big part in aging as well. Lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X