Arrow penatration problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enewman View Post
    look up dr ashby. You will find all you want to know about what your asking.

Including mechanical advantage of a broadhead. That almost no one talks about.

I would like to mention this. I believe in high foc. But do not get stuck on that is gospel.

There are a lot of game taken every year with arrows no where close to being what you are about to read on. But there are a lot of advantages to an high foc arrow with momentum and a good mechanical advantage fixed broadhead. This is called T.A.P. HEHE
    Thanks.. I greatly appreciate it...

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
      The reading of the study and subsequent articles can be pretty cumbersome but is very insightful. There are video from a lecture he conducted some years back that hit more in the high point a for a general overview.

http://www.tuffhead.com/education/education_links.html
      Thanks Muddy... I appreciate your input as well....

Comment

Thanks for the post buff.

I don't talk a whole lot about broadheads. I have shot my far share. But the best head I've shot for me was the 225 gn strickland helix. I like the design and the single bevel cut.
        The Zwickey im shooting now is 1 3/8 x 2 9/16
        Tell me more about this broadhead.....I have considered trying the Simmons Tree Shark at 190gr if and when I run out of the 185gr GK's. I am always open to trying new (to me) heavy broadheads.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421170933.332393.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24358364 pictures speak louder than words sometimes......

Comment

Nice Muddy....Which Simmons is that? Do you shoot it out of a compound?

Comment

Originally posted by TEXAS 10PT View Post
              Nice Muddy....Which Simmons is that? Do you shoot it out of a compound?

That is the 165 Land Shark and yes I shoot them out of a compound.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                That is the 165 Land Shark and yes I shoot them out of a compound.
                I have seen those heads at the Bow Zone. 6 pack of heads for $60 something which is an absolute bargain. I'd really like to try the Tree Shark but just wondering how well they will fly. My guess is that they will fly almost as good as my GK DS's. I've never seen anything fly better than a GK though so hopefully someone has some experience with them. Do yours come with bleeders?

Comment

Originally posted by TEXAS 10PT View Post
                  Tell me more about this broadhead.....I have considered trying the Simmons Tree Shark at 190gr if and when I run out of the 185gr GK's. I am always open to trying new (to me) heavy broadheads.
                  Ok I never shot a hog with one. I shot several Rams. **** thing never slowed down. But I did shoot a big red deer doe. I do not remember the weight on the arrow. But what I do remember is I lined straight up on shoulder. It was a nasty sound on impact. I did not get a complete passsthru. It did make it out the other side.

Now what I do remember is that deer looked like I shot it with my 308. It broke everything in its way

The 225 gn head came in around 230 gn. It was 1 5/16 wide and it is .072 thick. This head is not going to bend on a bone. The single bevel is on around 35 degree angle instead of 25 like most. This and the way the kick out design cause this head to really rotate. This is why this head breaks bones.
                  It is also very easy to sharpen.

I hunt hogs so I do not like to shoot expensive heads. This is why I shoot zwickys. And I will put the Zwickey up against any two blade out there.
                  But if I had the resources to do what I wanted. I would pass a law that only a helix could be brought onto my property.

Comment

Well that's a great testimony for the Helix's performance. Since they have right and left helix single bevels, do you think they will fly with 4 fletch mini's with a 2 degree right offset?

Comment

Newman did my calculations pushing a 430 gr 280 fps 67# nitrum turbo 28" dl @ .53. Plenty

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                        Newman did my calculations pushing a 430 gr 280 fps 67# nitrum turbo 28" dl @ .53. Plenty
                        I think so plus with a good head it's going to be hard to beat. What arrow are you using.

Comment

Black eagle deep impact .350 with 42 gr outsert and a 100 gr head. Muddy and I talked we think I'm borderline weak and will definitely be weak with a 125 head

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                            Black eagle deep impact .350 with 42 gr outsert and a 100 gr head. Muddy and I talked we think I'm borderline weak and will definitely be weak with a 125 head
                            trying to,remember your 29 in draw. If I'm thinking right.

Comment

I shot the 160ish hog at the end of 13 season w the helix, square through both shoulders. Complete pass through at 20yds and if I remember right my arrow was 560gn,69#-28 1/2dl, don't remember speed. That's the only hog we have shot w helix.
                              Last edited by Hholland; 01-19-2015, 09:38 PM. Reason: not complete

Comment

trying to,remember your 29 in draw. If I'm thinking right.
                                28" dl

Comment

Working...
                                X