No announcement yet.

Hang On vs. Ladder Stand. Advice!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lock ons are the ticket. A 20-30 ft ladder is dicey at best. SETx, you will be better at a higher elevation unless you have some thick cover.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
      That wouldn't work to well in E TX . E TX deer look up I'm trees all the time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
      I have been busted over 20 feet up a a tree or more in east tx. The mature ones will look up. Not the pigs and not young deer. and I have had them look me in the eye see me and run off snorting. All while 25 feet or more actually.

Comment

I hunt from trees lock ons, climbers, but I've had the best success lately hiding a chair in the brush. That style of hunting is exciting and you have to be ready because stuff happens real fast.

Comment

Originally posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
          Lol I assume this is sarcasm.
          No it's a fact.
          I had a doe that I saw way before she came to the feeder.
          I had not move a muscle as she approached the feeder. She was walking straight to me and had to turn to go to the feeder putting her broadside to me.
          Where she got to the feeder she stop and picked her head up and looked up and all around, she saw me but wasn't sure what I was, thanks to the leafy suit.
          The wind was in my face and this was the first time I had hunted this set.
          No way she knew I was there but she looked up and checked the trees.
          She should looked harder though.

Comment

Ladder. Probably safer. Definitely easier.

Comment

I like ladder stands , especially the two man ones. Lost of room, can buy extensions to go as high as you want. Put some camo netting around it and you are good to go. I now use these for 90% of my stands.

Comment

We hunt primarily lock on stands with stacking sticks and we prefer Millennium lock on stands. We try to get between 20' and 25' when we can but sometimes that isn't possible. Ladder stands are great to hunt out of we just find it easier to put up and take down lock on stands. Whatever you decide just be sure and wear your safety harness when putting your stand up, hunting it, or taking it down.

Comment

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
                  I hunt from trees lock ons, climbers, but I've had the best success lately hiding a chair in the brush. That style of hunting is exciting and you have to be ready because stuff happens real fast.
                  A few years ago I had a deer walk up behind and pass me like 6ft from me. Came out the brush and looked at me and kept walking. Biggest adrenaline rush ever !

Comment

That's so true and once you been found you can bet they will look up there every time

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                      A few years ago I had a deer walk up behind and pass me like 6ft from me. Came out the brush and looked at me and kept walking. Biggest adrenaline rush ever !
                      Nothing better than being up close to wildlife and undetected, those are my best hunting memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                        That's so true and once you been found you can bet they will look up there every time
                        Yep I had one doe bust me. Every time after that when she would step out in the shooting lane she would look at the base of the tree to see if the climber was there and if I was in it she would look up and bust me.
                        Finally when muzzleloader season got there I moved the stand to the other side and back off a little . I watch her come out look at the tree where I had been and look up to see if I was there.
                        She did a double check and started to the feeder.......... She never made it [emoji41][emoji106].
                        That was a very satisfying hunt.

Comment

Depends on what you intend to do.
                          If you plan on leaving it there all season, a 15ft. ladder stand is all you need. Wrap it in camo burlap.
                          If you're like me, and move when the deer change up their pattern, a lock on is the way to go.

Comment

i have seen old does catch the leg of a ladder stand, and follow it all the way up until they saw me.

there are no straight lines in nature.

Comment

Lock on

Comment

Since I no longer exceed the weight limit of most stands I am slowly switching to lock on stands. I'm not as comfortable in a lock on as I am a ladder but they are so much more versatile. Finding the right tree handicaps you so much with a ladder stand.

Comment

Working...
                                X