• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    wait...jshouse, is that you?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] nice one! We share the same sorrows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I found this thread a few weeks ago and have been glued to it. I started hunting East Texas about 5 years ago and can say I have put in the time and money with only minimal results. After reading through this thread it's helped me to broaden my thought process on hunting these elusive deer. I have such great pictures of them but never see anything while hunting. So today I decided since I won't be back for a couple of weeks to one of my blinds I will try the vanilla corn. So I bought 200 lbs of corn and a bunch of vanilla, and a spray bottle. I put 100 lbs in one area and a 100 in another area and sprayed them down with the vanilla. So in two weeks I will be back and check my cameras. Thanks so much for all the info on this thread I've been glued ever since reading it.

Comment

I wanted to add that before I found this thread I've been noticing a trend to get away from spin cast feeders. I have talked with several folks on my current lease and they are either hand Corning or using a PVC pipe feeder attached to a tree. They are seeing more pictures of deer at the pipe feeders than at their spin feeders. So when I found this thread it has started making sense and I'm trying to understand the correlation between east Texas deer and spin feeders. Haven't put my finger in it yet. Where as in west Texas when a feeder goes off it's like ringing the dinner bell. Just had me thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by rseveer View Post
          I wanted to add that before I found this thread I've been noticing a trend to get away from spin cast feeders. I have talked with several folks on my current lease and they are either hand Corning or using a PVC pipe feeder attached to a tree. They are seeing more pictures of deer at the pipe feeders than at their spin feeders. So when I found this thread it has started making sense and I'm trying to understand the correlation between east Texas deer and spin feeders, but in west Texas when a feeder goes off it's like ringing the dinner bell. Just had me thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Goal post still around?
            He has not come home yet. The good news is that five or six that went missing when the rut started are now home. Three of them are decent deer. Every year they come home between dec 5th and 10th. Im getting excited.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              He has not come home yet. The good news is that five or six that went missing when the rut started are now home. Three of them are decent deer. Every year they come home between dec 5th and 10th. Im getting excited.
              I hope for your sake and those brow tines he's still with us!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                I hope for your sake and those brow tines he's still with us!
                Yep. My big ten got killed yesterday down the road 1.5 miles. 13 inch 2s. He had over 70 inches of tines. High 60s deer. Oh well we missed him broad side with a rifle...had our chance.

Comment

Happy kid
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice buck. Congrats to the young man.

Comment

Is 50 - 60 yards too close to hunt to a pile of corn? I found a place that I think is doable, but it's a little tight and I don't want to do any trimming at this point.

Comment

Congratulations to the young hunter! He looks to have a streak of Barclay in him?

Nice sized deer, too, doesn't appear to have missed many meals.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
                          Congratulations to the young hunter! He looks to have a streak of Barclay in him?

Nice sized deer, too, doesn't appear to have missed many meals.
                          Yeah hes a Barclay. Lil David my nephew and a killing machine. That deer is old and i have known him all his life. He has lost a lot of weight during the rut though believe it or not and broke that 7-8inch G3. I honestly think he broke it after the shot as i sure didnt notice gone before the gun fired.

here he is a couple weeks ago with the g3
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah hes a Barclay. Lil David my nephew and a killing machine. That deer is old and i have known him all his life. He has lost a lot of weight during the rut though believe it or not and broke that 7-8inch G3. I honestly think he broke it after the shot as i sure didnt notice gone before the gun fired.

here he is a couple weeks ago with the g3
                            Ohhh okay. I remember seeing a photo of him before. Boy is growing up

Bonus taking a deer with history I bet. Love seeing these young men making great memories.

Comment

Happy kid
                              Congrats to the young man! Nice buck and good lookin food plot!

Comment

Yep. My big ten got killed yesterday down the road 1.5 miles. 13 inch 2s. He had over 70 inches of tines. High 60s deer. Oh well we missed him broad side with a rifle...had our chance.
                                From talking with Sam, sounds like it wasn't your ten that got killed after all. Has he come back yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X