Last time you got lost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last time you got lost?

Da Hitman's post (which I thought was funny) reminded me of the time I got lost and scared the bejesus out of myself. I am in my mid fifties now and have been blessed to hunt some very remote country and got myself into some schetchy situations but the worse was when I was around 17yrs old. I had only duck hunted on my own a few times on my own to that point.

One foggy morning I drove down to Galveston to hunt Christmas bay. The fog was so thick you could have cut it with a knife. I arrive at my spot and boy it is even fogger but I figured when the sun rose the fog would lift. I follow my trail to the blind and set my stuff down turn on my flashlight and set it up so I can see it (like my dad taught me) and wade out about 30 steps and start tossing decoys. I only had about 2 dozen dekes so I wanted them spaced out pretty good. Well I toss my last decoy and start looking around. I cant see the flashlight. I started shuffling around and cant find the decoys.

I know in just a matter of a few feet I will come across a decoy or two. Nothing>>>
    Water is not getting much deeper but now I am pushing thru the water and doing circles trying to find land. I am not in any immediate danger but I am completely turned around. It's completely black and the fog is so thick I start instinctly start raising my hand as if I am walking into a wall. Understand I am standing in no more than 12-16 inches of water and cant be no more than 40-50 yards from the grass line.

I start to panic a little and start moving faster. About that time a big fish spooks making a pretty big splash. OK now I am freaking out. I know I should not move too fast or I will step on a string ray so I just stop and stand still for what seemed like hours. I start getting cold and I am nervous so I start shaking. So like an idiot I stand there in the dark in water so shallow I would have to lie down in to get wet and I am the scaredist I have been in my whole 17 year life. It gets light enough and I find the spread and get back on semi dry land. I may have walked 100 hundred yards in circle but never more than 20-30 feet form the spread. I can honestly tell you that was the second scariest time I ever had while hunting. Never fired a shot that morning.

Man I think about that time many moons ago and still get a little shiver up my spine.

How about you?

Just a minute ago on the sweaty girl thread.

Comment

I have never been lost. I’ve been twisted a time or 2, but never lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I didn't get lost. I just got turned around a bit.

Comment

Worked downtown for over 15 years... still get lost if they shut down my goto route in and out of this cess pool...

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
            Just a minute ago on the sweaty girl thread.

This^^^^^^^right here... I was totally "LOST" for words!!!!
            That don't happen often..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              This^^^^^^^right here... I was totally "LOST" for words!!!!

That don't happen often..

I’m assuming that thread got lost too?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post

Nope.. Its still hanging on!!!!

Comment

I pride myself on having a good sense of direction...but I sure as heck got lost once in some remote NM country.

3 of us guys started a hunt on some private land hunting mule deer. The most tenured hunter in our group explained the hunt to us, where we would end up, and where we would get picked up. As we near the end of the hunt, all 3 of us lose sight of each other. I end up coming to a fence that completely through me off. I walked a few circles before i realized I was lost on over 27K acres. I climbed the nearest mountain and sat down glassing for somebody. Lucky for me, I located the guy who brought a GPS. I high tailed it his direction and tied in with him. He was completely lost too. His GPS indicated we were 6 miles from camp, so we headed that direction.

We finally made it back exhausted. The remaining buddy located the ride and made it out. We were the dummies that didnt lol. Crazy feeling.

Comment

Not dangerously lost but turned around due to stupidity. I was on a 1,800 acre lease in Archer County hunting by myself on a part of the property I was not familiar with. It was in a bottom where several creeks converged with a thick tree canopy. I arrowed a pig at last light and it was dark by the time I started looking for it. I was tracking with a Coleman lantern I rigged with a shroud to project the light. I got maybe 150 yards from the stand when I fell and broke the lantern. I reached for my flashlight and realized I had left it in the stand. It was overcast, almost no moon. I tried to follow the creek but it was one of those that doubles back on itself a lot and I was getting nowhere. I usually have a good sense of direction but I was clueless - I just flat did not pay enough attention on the way in. I listened for road noise for a clue but being in the middle of a property there was none. (pre cell phone days, BTW) After crashing through the brush for 1 1/2 hours I found a climbable tree and went up as high as I could. Way off in the distance - probably a mile - I saw the vapor light at camp. I now knew the general direction but the brush was thick and it was very slow going. I was never worried about being truly lost - I would find a fenceline eventually - but I was really kicking myself the whole way for being so unprepared - really felt like an idiot. I finally made it back OK other than lots of briar scratches and bug bites. Never went out again without a compass in my pack
                    Last edited by jerp; 05-22-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Tracked a pig into the brush and finally put it down then realized we didn't know where to go back out. Climbed a mesquite tree and found some power lines to get my bearings. We finally got it drug out to the road.

In Rome with a cheesy tourist map written in Italian. Finally found a guy with a military uniform on that spoke English. He said get on this bus with me and I will tell you when to get off. Took us right where we needed to be to catch our shuttle. It's scary when you don't speak the language.

Comment

I never get lost cuz everywhere I am people tell me where to go.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

earlier today at Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            Nope.. Its still hanging on!!!!
                            It's lost now.

Comment

Elk hunting last year near Glenwood Springs! It wasn't bad, but I did not want to get stuck on the side of a mountain.

Comment

Working...
                              X