Armadillo arrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armadillo arrow?

Does anyone else carry one of these while hunting? This weekend of turkey hunting convinced me I need one in my quiver as they almost rooted up my decoys.

In the past I've had deer walk by unaffected by squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, cardinals, blue jays but a grubbing, rooting dillo just seems to make them uneasy and usually leave. I've shot a few but at the expense of a perfectly good arrow since it's hard to get a pass thru at treestand angles, probably better from a blind.

I'm thinking about using the biggest rubber blunt I can find on possibly a fishing arrow.

Well....

I gotta funny story about dillos...

I had a dillo scare of some deer and while I was always curious about shooting one, this gave me the incentive to do so. I got out of the blind and shot one with a broadhead. He ran off with my arrow and into some brush. I didn't have my flash light so I walked back to camp to get it and come back. About halfway back to camp, I remembered I had one in a different pack pocket and went back. Never did find that dillo or my arrow. I would periodically search the area... again never found that guy... or the arrow.

Fast forward a weekend and I am walking to a stand in the late afternoon and I hear something rustling through the grass. I get an arrow nocked and up out of the ravine comes an dillo. I swap arrows for one that has a small game - wingnut head and I take aim at it's tiny head. I hit that guy straight up in the head and he goes flipping around like a trapeze artist... just jumping, flipping. I nock another arrow and wait, but he never stops and finally runs back down into the ravine... I walk to the stand and climb in and can hear him for a good solid 2 minutes running around down there behind me.

don't know if he ever died... or if his headache finally wore off or what. In hindsight, I think I probably just got him in the snout and just really made him have a bad day... but all in all I'd say the rubber blunts probably wouldn't do the trick... and a cheap ol Zwickey broadhead to the upper mid section would work.

For what it is worth, on game that small, I don't worry about pass thrus. They are not high enough off the ground to usually get those... the arrow usually hits the dirt on the other side. Just my experience.

I have stopped carrying a blunt in my 4 arrow quiver and now just carry 3 sharks and a zwicky that I have put a tanto tip on. The only time I go with an actual blunt/small game head is if I plan on stalking rabbits.

Comment

I used to carry a fish arrow with a big rubber blunt.

It worked on armadillos.

It would also kill or knock a dead squirrel out of a tree and not travel too far when shot into the air while doing either.

Comment

Never had problems with an armadillo messing up a hunt, so no, I don't carry a dillo arrow.

Besides, those little bastages carry leprosy, so I tend to just leave them alone!

Bisch

Comment

I leave them alone as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Cold Steel makes some cheap broadheads that can be purchased by the dozen. I've been tempted to carry those on a couple of junk arrows just for those occasions when arrow recovery might be a problem. I haven't seen or shot any of them, but if they would be close to point of aim, I'd use them on armadillos and even hogs. I don't dress hogs out unless they are little ones, and they are notorious for disappearing with arrows in brushy country...

Comment

I ain’t eating it so I ain’t shooting it. Never had a deer spook at one. They can’t see worth crap so not much sport in it either.

Comment

I agree it may not always be sporting (every shot for me is sporting) but for the dillo damage I've got in my yard it's more of a pest control issue at home and they have busted deer on more than one occasion in the woods. The rancher where I hunt shoots every one on sight due to holes in his pastures. Killing mice, pocket gophers and skunks isn't sporting and I don't eat them but I still kill them given the chance.

I'm sure as soon as I start carrying an arrow for dillos I'll never see another one.

Comment

Back when I shot 85lbs I had a big home made plastic blunt that killed Dillos like light struck them. It would literally blow a hole through them the size of your fist.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Arra View Post
                    I agree it may not always be sporting (every shot for me is sporting) but for the dillo damage I've got in my yard it's more of a pest control issue at home and they have busted deer on more than one occasion in the woods. The rancher where I hunt shoots every one on sight due to holes in his pastures. Killing mice, pocket gophers and skunks isn't sporting and I don't eat them but I still kill them given the chance.

I'm sure as soon as I start carrying an arrow for dillos I'll never see another one.
                    They can be hard on a nice carpet of Saint Augustine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X