No announcement yet.

Penetration test on a 30 gallon plastic drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It don't look like any of the traditional shooter "African Dangerous Game" folk are going to contribute to this with their "Big Rigs".

That being the case, I decided to pull out my Old Girl, dust her off, and build a dangerous game tank of an arrow for her.

Here's the result.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

If you are getting your broadhead all the way through just one side of these barrels with your normal hunting rigs, then you should be happy, because they'll do a fine job on "ANY" North American game animals, and most likely any of the African game, that are not classified as the larger dangerous game variety.

I've been all over the board with these tests.

All the way from 7.75 GPP to over 20 GPP

All the way from 14.4% FOC to 32% Foc

The results are pretty conclusive, and the bottom line of reality is:

(Assuming you achieve a well tuned / good flying arrow with just about any reasonable percentage of forward of center balance)

If you think you need, or just want more penetrating horsepower there's only two ways to get it at it's optimum level:

(1) Make sure your arrow weight is between 9 & 10 grains per pound of draw weight.

(2) If (1) isn't enough for you - Go up in draw weight, while still maintaining between 9 & 10 grains per pound of draw weight.

I may do some different testing down the road, but this pretty much covered it. If any of you want to see something else, then give it a go, and do some testing of your own. I for one will definitely be interested in seeing what you have to show.

Rick

Comment

Armor piercing.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Armor piercing.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
        Definitely.

Rick

Comment

Side note:

It felt good to get the old girl out, and let her do her stuff.
          She's awesome !

Comment

Awesome, Rick! Authoritative thump hitting that barrel!

Comment

Penetration test on a 30 gallon plastic drum

It’s already been done! My buddy killed a giant cape buffalo this past August with his 74# recurve and 850ish grain arrows!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                It’s already been done! My buddy killed a giant cape buffalo this past August with his 74# recurve and 850ish grain arrows!

Bisch

That's not the point I'm trying to make here, and you know it.

Rick

Comment

I've had a bunch of requests for chronograph speeds.

The last time I chronographed the 98#er was with a 605 grain arrow, and it was 247 FPS

Here she is with the 971gr, and a 640gr.

Both are middle of three shots.

Rick
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's the 69#er with the same two arrows.

Once again it's the middle of three shots.

Rick
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wanna bring this thread back up to say that those Blue Wildebarrels are indeed tough, and make a great reference test for virtually any game animal.

Was lucky enough to be part of a trad group hog hunt this past weekend, organized by DRT (Gary) on here (at Three Fingers Bowhunting in Fairfield, Tx).

I haven't shot many hogs prior to this, but, let me just say that they are tough critters. Shot all weekend with the same rig tested above -- 70# Jay Weathers recurve, using 680-grain arrows and 300-grain Tuffhead single bevel broadheads. Believe the FOC is considered "extreme" at around 28% (but not "ultra-extreme" of 30%+). And, while I have never chrono'ed the rig, those arrows move pretty quick -- guessing at least 200 fps.

What I found in real, live hunting on pigs is that those arrows were getting complete pass-throughs on hogs up to 120 pounds. Shot a 238-pounder, at 15 yards hard-quartering away, and the arrow entered a couple inches ahead of the back part of the "shield" and went on into the lungs and likely the heart (didn't do a necropsy) for a total of 12 inches of penetration. Had a great blood trail and found the hog stone dead 150 yards away. (I think the thick layers of hair, fat, and cartilage of the shield are pretty comparable in resistance to the thick blue plastic of those barrels.)

I must say that, overall, I'm now a little torn over the issue of blood trail production. On the smaller hogs, the two-blade broadheads -- even with complete pass-throughs were not providing very good blood trails. Now, it could be that shot placement was not perfect, and also could be due to fattiness of the pigs clogging the wounds, but I have to wonder if a three-blade broadhead would produce a better blood trail while still getting full penetration. That said, I can't complain about the penetration and blood trail on the big piggy. Still, I think I may get some 3-blade, 300-grain 1-1/8" cut VPA's. Thoughts?
                      Last edited by tradtiger; 05-07-2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

You didn't get the thickest part of he shield but it was 3/8ths to 1/2" thick where you hit him. I would say you combination worked. However would a set up going faster with just that head and not quite so much foc get help or hurt?
                        I like three blades for fixed heads. Get some and we'll go back and try them.
                        You may have to eat up some of that pork you're going to put into the freezer first though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          You didn't get the thickest part of he shield but it was 3/8ths to 1/2" thick where you hit him. I would say you combination worked. However would a set up going faster with just that head and not quite so much foc get help or hurt?
                          I like three blades for fixed heads. Get some and we'll go back and try them.
                          You may have to eat up some of that pork you're going to put into the freezer first though.

And you would know, alright, how thick the shield was where the arrow penetrated, since you helped remove the arrow during skinning. Thanks!

Yeah, I would say it definitely did the job. So, we're risking the slippery slope of fixing something that isn't necessarily broken.

I think, really we need to consider overall purpose and function of the different broadhead weights and configurations. The real reason to use a two-blade, single bevel broadhead is for its ability to actually break through bone, using a twisting action provided by the chisel-like edge, and keep going into the vitals of an animal. Hence it can provide maximum penetration in virtually any scenario.

On the other hand, a three-blade broadhead provides a full third more cutting surface ability, thus, yielding a bigger wound opening and better blood trails.

I think the question to consider is which problem is more pertinent to the individual game animal. In other words, if hitting bone is a more likely impediment to penetration on something like an elk, then use the two-blade single bevel. However, on a fat hog maybe hitting bone is less of an issue than providing a larger wound for blood trailing purposes -- provided you can still get adequate penetration to hit the vitals.

Comment

Shooting a 70# draw weight, you should have no penetration issues with a 3-blade broadhead!!!!

Bisch

Comment

The bad part Friday evening was the rain and the dark. Bad blood trailing conditions. You shot through three pigs. Yes one was smaller but the ones Saturday in the dark were 100lb+ pigs.
                              That said I think a three blade makes a better hole but when heart or main lung area gets cut into, like on you big one, it's gonna bleed out quick which always helps in recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                                Shooting a 70# draw weight, you should have no penetration issues with a 3-blade broadhead!!!!

Bisch

I agree, and, really need look no further than Rick's test video above showing his 3-blade VPA going through both sides of the barrel, shot out of virtually the same weight bow I have.

Here's a pic of the arrow, btw. About an inch was sticking out of the boar's side where it broke off on the tree when he took off.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X