No announcement yet.

Playset Rejuvenation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I finally finished all the sanding and staining last night.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-15 07.03.22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	24476926

Name:	2016-12-15 07.03.28.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	24476927

Now it is on to the details. This should extend the life of this play set and of course dress her up a bit more.

Name:	2016-12-15 07.04.38.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	24476929

Name:	2016-12-15 07.05.00.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	24476930

I also got a Christmas present delivered yesterday from the WWW. 100' of polypropylene rope. Plan is to start setting this sucker back up on Saturday. I'm ready and so are my kids. My wife said last night, "No more big projects just before Christmas."

Name:	2016-12-15 07.03.52.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	24476928

Comment

Looks good. You've really done a great job.

I've never restored one like this, but I did assemble one very similar, and I spent nearly 100 man hours on that.

I need to get rid of it now, my daughter has outgrown it, if someone else is looking for a similar project.

Comment

Playset Rejuvenation

Unless you have a better plan to stop the rope ends from fraying, wrapping with electrical tape and then dipping/ swabbing the black glue for meant for black sanitary pipes sticks well and works. Keep it iff your hands, it stains.

μολν λαβ

Comment

Plan is to wrap a bit of electrical tape around the location I intend to cut the rope. Then I'll be using this stuff...

Name:	Plasti_Dip-xl.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	24476957

Looks like they used a similar product on the ropes that came with the play set. I ordered some yellow from the interwebs.

Comment

A Bic lighter works well too.

Comment

Gummi Bear, PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by poisonivie View Post
                A Bic lighter works well too.
                Normally this is what I would do. However, that method can also leave a very rough, sometimes sharp edge. Not exactly what I want. Plus that method many times eventually breaks down and next thing you know my kids have untwisted 30' of rope. This size rope isn't something you can just run to the local hardware store and pick up a couple of feet.

Comment

If you paid yourself minimum wage for while working on this project, how much money would you have in it with labor, new materials, paint etc?

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                    If you paid yourself minimum wage for while working on this project, how much money would you have in it with labor, new materials, paint etc?
                    This sounds like a really bad idea...

Most of my work on this has been in the evenings after work between honey-dos and kid duty. Most weekends we are busy running around this time of year. Plus you add in Thanksgiving and a couple of hunts and I'd say I have somewhere around 60 hours into it right now.

Play set - $500
                    Labor - 60 hrs x 7.25 = $435
                    Sandpaper & Belts - ~$20
                    Wood stabilizer - $18.90
                    100' of 1" Rope - $73.77
                    Plasti Dip - $9.25
                    Spray Paint - $12.00
                    Stain and Associated Supplies - $69.43
                    Replacement Part from Manufacture - $50

Total of $1,170.35. Not as bad as I though it might be.

Comment

As as alternative to power washing, a sprayer with bleach works wonders! Great for fences as well!

Comment

You still saved a bundle. And it is looking better than it did when it was new.

Great job!

Comment

Playset Rejuvenation

The intangible benefit of watching your kids play on it for years knowing you rebuilt it can not be priced.

Add your children watching Dad do it for them, and it's priceless.

I still remember 28 years ago finishing installing a metal swing and slide set and watching 3 year old Ryan's smile as I pushed him. I cried because I knew I could only hold the moment for a couple minutes, and prayed to God that I always remember it. And I did. And I'm tearing up.

μολν λαβ
                          Last edited by Bill; 12-15-2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                            Ban this man from the DIY section!

Nice work, Chad!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                              The intangible benefit of watching your kids play on it for years knowing you rebuilt it can not be priced.

I still remember 28 years ago finishing installing a metal swing and slide set and watching 3 year old Ryan's smile as I pushed him. I cried because I knew I could only hold the moment for a couple minutes, and prayed to God that I always remember it. And I did. And I'm tearing up.

μολν λαβ
                              👍 You the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post

μολν λαβ
                                I was able to get the structure up on Saturday. Keeping my two daughters off and out of the way while I did it was like keeping bees away from a honeycomb!

Only major item left now is the rope ladder. Hope to polish that off this week. Then I'll take and post comparison pictures.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                Ban this man from the DIY section!

Nice work, Chad!
                                Thanks and I agree. Luckily, he didn't say to factor in my actual salary based hourly rate.

Comment

Working...
                                X