Possible option to prevent gun violence on school campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    you dont think these things play a part?
    I was bullied in school and had open access to guns. I didn't kill anyone. We have a culture/parenting problem.
    Big Wes has it right....Kids have no training or know how to handle adversity.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
      I was bullied in school and had open access to guns. I didn't kill anyone. We have a culture/parenting problem.
      Big Wes has it right....Kids have no training or know how to handle adversity.

I should have erased the bullied part of the quote i copied. Bullied is BS but there is a 99.9% chance medication played a part in this event and has been proven to have played a part is basically all previous events like this.
      Whether or not the shooter had a mental illness before being prescribed mind altering drugs, They ended up mentally ill.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        Tons of options.

But this is a fact....up until today SF High School thought they had a plan in place. My schools in Alvin think they have a plan in place.

Realistically, if your school can't stop a gunman from entering the school......it has failed it's community. Harden the schools first and foremost NOW!. Then work on the religious, parenting , bullying and social issues after that.
        This! Metal detectors at the main doors!

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
          This! Metal detectors at the main doors!
          Then they will just ambush the funnel-point at the front where the large group of kids are waiting in line to be searched.

The answer is Law Enforcement and plenty of them hired and on-duty at every school during every moment the school is in session. An officer for every main building or an officer for every 200 students.

Comment

I should have erased the bullied part of the quote i copied. Bullied is BS but there is a 99.9% chance medication played a part in this event and has been proven to have played a part is basically all previous events like this.
            Whether or not the shooter had a mental illness before being prescribed mind altering drugs, They ended up mentally ill.
            I hear what your saying. My oldest was on Ritalin in high school. A decision I now regret as I'm older and much wiser. It jacked him up but he didn't kill anybody either. It's a culture/parenting problem. These killers aren't taught how to deal with adversity. Poor Godless parenting. Those other things may play a role but you can't point to them as the cause.

Comment

I think if you want to make it as close to impossible to have a gun in school you will have to turn it into airport/federal building security/prison.

Armed guard at every entrance and exit. Any backpacks, lunch boxes, bags go through x-ray when entering or exiting. Any outdoor time must be monitored by guards. Every person in school must go through scanner and is subject to search at any time.

I don’t know about all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                If they would drag that kid out in front of the court house and hang him in the nearest oak tree, leave him hanging until the crows had picked his bones clean, it would give the next useless thug something to ponder.

Done

Comment

I think the most beneficial thing would be to arm the current officers with something besides a dang pistol. They need to be carrying an AR style every day.

Define how much we are willing to pay. SOunds cold, but that is exactly what we did with speed limits. THere are an additional 800-900 deaths per year in US due to increased speed limits. Would you be willing to pay 20-50% more what you pay now in property tax? Do away with sports to pay for extra security? Every ISD has many schools K-12, protect all with armed guards?

I think the sad realization is we can stop them.

Comment

Yessir, no doubt medication holds a part in this. I wonder if the Doctor is gonna be held responsible for the script he provided?

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      Only thing i will say about this.. is i do believe the era of medicating people instead of forcing them to develop coping mechanisms plays a large part in the wussification and poor-me attitudes of recent generations.
                      "Mentally ill" is overused.... and excuses way too many things...and the medications prescribed arent teaching them how to deal with any stresses and in many of these cases increase the chances of psychological breaks.
                      need proof? at some point , pretty much all these mass killers were either diagnosed and/or prescribed these anti-psychotic medications, given an acronym that explains their behaviours, and never taught to deal with **** other than pop pills.
                      School shootings are a symptom of the problem, not the actual problem. You are exactly right.

Comment

Any trained teacher willing and able should have immediate access to a firearm.

Comment

Part of the problem is the old toothpaste is out of the tube analogy. Lots of us remember attending high school in a time when we spent a ton of time pursuing shooting sports outside of school. We never dreamed of taking a gun to school for any reason. Not even the loaner types who may or may not have had mental issues. In the post Columbine world, kids copy this method of rampage suicide in what’s becoming something of a routine.

There’s always been bad parents. There’s always been kids with mental problems. The difference now is they know this is an option. This kid even bought the Columbine Coat.

It’s sad that we have to think of protecting our kids in school with methods used for prisoners but that’s where we are. You can’t force bad parents to be good any more than you can identify and monitor kids who may or may not go off the rails some day. Of course, when they tip their hand on social media, by all means we need to pay attention. The hard part is knowing when a line has been crossed.

For now, security seems to be the only realistic answer.

Comment

Better training is needed. From what i have read on today's event some kids pulled the fire alarm to alert the students. Fleeing the classrooms is not a good move.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

As long as God isn't allowed in schools

Until the mental health crisis is acknowledged

I see no end of these school attacks in sight

I firmly believe he farther away from the farm/ranch/rural lifestyle the farther from reality our culture becomes.

Comment

Two suggestions:

A speedy trial, one fast-tracked appeal and then a public execution.

Eliminate gun-free laws for teachers and staff. They do not have to carry- only the sick mind knows any adult in the school may be armed.

The other approach is clearly not working.

Comment

Working...
                                X